Exterior deck lighting/spare exterior socket wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please. I am planning to run a feed from a 2G socket to a weatherproof 2G socket outside to cater for some exterior low-wattage (30W x 6 decklights) and leave a spare socket for summer etertainment/lawnmower use.

Plan to use weatherproof (IP56) socket, appropriate conduit & glands, but can someone advise on the best (& safest) method to run off this exterior power supply - from the 2G internal, through a fused switched spur and outside to the 2G w/proof socket.

Any suggestions much appreciated

(Also - keep hearing of the new regs - is a project of this nature affected??)

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
you havent mentioned an rcd and yes its against part p
Agree 100% about the RCD, but as long as the socket is fixed to the outside wall of the house I don't think it counts as being in the garden, and if the lights plug in then they are not fixed equipment..

But "against Part P"? There's no such thing as well you know - Part P does not prevent anybody from doing any work (as long as it's done safely) anywhere in their house or garden, it just requires that some work be notified in advance...

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,

Forgot to mention - the 2G socket in the kitchen is already RCD equipped - was originally just going to run the cabling for the lighting to outside, but thought an exterior weatherproof socket was a more flexible idea.

Think that I will 'downgrade' the kitchen RCD switch to a standard 2 gang when spurring to the outside, and install an IP56 2G in the garden with in-build 2x30Ma RCD.

As a second thought (!) would there be any immediate 'irregularities' if instead of an exterior spur, I ran the exterior IP 56 RCD 2G from a 3-pin plug and flex from the 2G in the kitchen. Not so sure of this one??

Any proven or recommended suggestions most welcome - I am reasonably competent with mains wiring/installing additional lighting, but just want a safe outdoor job for the family.

Many thanks again all

You said

ucsman said:
Think that I will 'downgrade' the kitchen RCD switch to a standard 2 gang when spurring to the outside, and install an IP56 2G in the garden with in-build 2x30Ma RCD.

so are you now saying the existing kitchen socket is an rcd socket, if you are, your asumption that wiring another socket to this would also become rcd protected would be wrong (it would be right if you plugged in a socket)

you woiuld be wasting your time putting an rcd socket outside if the ring you are going to take a spur from is RCD protected

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back