Exterior door / frame replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to replace the old thin softwood front door on my basement flat, but I have a few questions.

The original door is about 28" wide (a bit too narrow), I have bought a nice half-glazed 30" hardwood door but the directions say not to take off more than 5mm on any one side (so 10mm off width max).

I have decided therefore, to replace the old (original 1880's door frame) which appears to have been removed before as there are diagonal cuts in the jambs. The width, brick to brick, is about 34" (maybe just under ?) and there doesn't appear to be a wooden sill as it just looks like a piece of stone / concrete - could this be possible ? :confused:

1. Can I buy a pre-treated door frame (possibly without a sill without) ?

2. If I make my own frame should I treat it first and with what ?

3. How should I construct my own frame ?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
The frame measurements should be taking from the inside (between the plaster) and then checked between the outside stone work, this way you can decide what the optimum size of the frame should be made to.

the age of the house would certainly mean that it would have a stone threshold, I would suggest fitting a brydale weather bar under the door, have a look at directdoors.com, lots of tips and graphics.

I would argue that you could cut/reduce any door by more than the amount you have mentioned but obviously not as much as 25MM (1") each side.

Remember to make the frame a straight forward square section, judging the age of the house, I would suggest you then add the door stops seperately, that way you can move them in or out as required to accommodate the door thickness.

Treating, use a quality product such as "sikkens system cetol 7", something that lest the would breath, remeber to traet all the edges of the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back