Exterior Oil based Paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a couple of questions re oil based paints.

Can someone tell me the difference between an interior oil undercoat compared to an exterior (say weathershield) oil undercoat? Can the external be used on an interior surface?

I have a tin of 15 year old Dulux Trade Satinwood. Can this be mixed with a new tin? Does anyone know what had changed in these paints in the last 20 or so years? As satinwood is a two coat system, can old paint sit happily on top of a coat of the new product?

Also does anyone have any opinions about the Permaglaze paints? Just used a blue gloss on an external window frame and wasn't really happy with the performance (poor coverage - I know it was blue which normally takes around three coats for decent coverage but this paint was taking the mick, seemed a little too runny, had the feel of an acrylic paint)

Sponsored Links
Quick answer cos its late and im moolered!

the main differece with the two undercoats is the exterior weather sheild one has more oil and special extenders in it which help gove it added flexiblilty

But you pay the price with covering power...more oil=less pigment = less covering pwer

Yes you can use it inside

The satinwood should be ok if its unopened but youl have to box them box together and give it a right good stir first...personally id rather use fresh stuff

Permaglaze...hmm...never been keen..its a lovely white gloss but I find it sticky to apply.

Blues, especially dark blues that lean towards purples ar bad coverers...try buying an eggshell thats the same colour and use that as an undercoat..or ask the people in a trade centre to knock you up an undercoat the same colour..it doesnt always work but may save you having to do an extra coat of paint

Thats it...im going to bed with a cuppa and 3 hobnobs..milk chocolate.! :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back