Exterior paints: water-based?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought some Sandtex exterior gloss paint.
Tried to paint my fascias last night, the paint dripped everywhere -- it was like thin emulsion. Biggest mess I've ever made when painting, the paint ran everywhere.
Then I saw that brushes were to be cleaned using soap powder + hot water!

Is this an oil-based or water-based paint?
For an exterior long life paint I was expecting a thick non-drip oil-based gloss.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Its water based Mike, probably one of the old ones around too, ive been using it since about 1985

Silly question.....but did you give it a good stir first?....this stuff tends to get left on the shelf in stores and may settle.

It should be fairly thick and certainly not runny....but not as thick as non drip gloss.

I would never use non drip on an outside....hate the stuff, and other deckies on here will probably agree....its a diy product.

If the stuff is thinner than you can handle get yourself down to a Crown Decorating centre and use their water based gloss...its got a fair bit of body to it.

But beware.....dont use it on a hot day....the edge will go of iterally in seconds and leave you with a patchy finish.

Water based gloss...

Good points:- Quick drying, very flexible, non yellowing, non smelling, fast recoat time

Bad points:- Doesnt cover as well, takes a little bit of gettings used to to apply, doesnt have a full gloss finsh...but what it does have lasts.

Thanks Zampa. But I've ditched the water-based stuff and gone for traditional Crown non drip gloss. I find this easy to work with.

Thing is, if I'm up a ladder at the gable end and the paint starts dripping down, I can lose concentration! With traditional non drip gloss this is less of a worry.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back