External Cable to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached garage approx 2m from my house. Separating them is a very nice professionally laid patio... unfortunately the power to the garage was not so professional - It was two inches below the garden soil where my pickaxe found it and wired to the back of a socket in my kitchen. I DO NOT want to dig up my patio and there is nowhere else to bury the external cable.

I would like to run a fresh spur from my consumer unit in standard twin and earth to terminate just inside the house (6m) and then connect a SWA cable to run through the external wall, along the outside of my house wall (at the base by the patio 3m), under a step (2m), through the garage wall and along the inside of the garage wall (5m) to an RCD consumer unit (current consumer still fuse box in house). I want to cover the cable running externally and on the inside of the garage with a steel capping and paint it.

1 - Can I do this with current regulations (subject to Part-P cert)
2 - I will be running a few sockets (maybe fridge, an occasional lawn mower), a lathe and some light off it should I have a 30amp radial to the garage and 4mm 3 core armoured?
3 - If I can't do this - any way of running the cable without digging or running overhead?

Thanks guys and gals

Graham

Sponsored Links
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Id take the SWA (I think 4mm is suffice - one of the lads on here will tell you) into a 2-way consumer unit. (Lights and sockets) then tube out to the sockets: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WY204.html

Can you get capping for SWA? If you clite it proper, it can look smart. Even J-brackets look good if done proper, but I wouldn't put them in my garden.

into a 2-way consumer unit. (Lights and sockets) then tube out to the sockets

I actually got a 4 way 80amp insulated from TLC - just in case i wanted to run other stuff later.

Can you get capping for SWA? If you clite it proper, it can look smart. Even J-brackets look good if done proper

Not sure TBH - thought at least the law would be to cap. Not sure what cliting is (sorry) and not really sure what J brackets are! I work in IT and so my electrical knowledge is self taught really!

My main concern is that when I pay my local electrician (if he turns up) to come certify and finish off for me that he won;t turn round and tell me that I can't run it externally without overhead catenary or burying it...[/quote]

Sponsored Links

Yeah - I just found that too lol. So I guess that scuppers that plan :(

Excerpt below:

Protection of the cables
The cable run from the house to the garage
must be suitably protected either by being
run overhead (see Regulation 412-05-01) or
buried in the ground (Regulation 522-06-03
refers). Where cables are installed in areas
inhabited by rodents, such as might be
found in a garage, the wiring system must
be capable of resisting damage caused by
gnawing (Regulation 522-10-01).

I actually got a 4 way 80amp insulated from TLC - just in case i wanted to run other stuff later.

Wise man.

Not sure TBH - thought at least the law would be to cap. Not sure what cliting is (sorry) and not really sure what J brackets are!

Brackets in the shape of a 'J' that you rest the cable on. Used on factories and such, wouldn't look good on a garage. Clites are like cable clips for SWA.

I work in IT and so my electrical knowledge is self taught really!

My main concern is that when I pay my local electrician (if he turns up) to come certify and finish off for me that he won;t turn round and tell me that I can't run it externally without overhead catenary or burying it...[/quote][/quote]

Always go with someone who is recommended.

I'd go with what has been said already, im sure one of the lads on here will chip in with a ammendment or suggestion.

Ill dig up a photo of a clite, and where you can buy them...

Its actually spelt cleat.

Heres one:
TCC8.JPG

To buy them try screwfix, Tlc-direct.co.uk or a local wholesaler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back