External doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit two new external doors including frames. The openings that they are going into, need reducing, (more than expanding foam and mastic will cope with!!!) How do I close the opening to the required size? The house has brickwork upto knee height then redered brickwork and blockwork above, internally it is all plastered clincker-block. Can I use studwork and plasterboard inside? for the external wall do I need to 'tie' the new brickwork in with the old? the gap each side is about 50cm and full-height. Do I install the frame first and use it to brick upto?

Cheers for any advice,

j

Sponsored Links
Hi Masona,

No 50cm, the opening was (is) a wierd double door affair with 'baffled-edges (1950's Bungalow). I want to close the gap and install a standard width door. The other is a sliding French Door set-up, which I'm replacing with two narrower opening doors.

Cheers,

j

Sponsored Links
Best to fix the door frame first bedded to the bottom cill on mortar which I believe will be resting on dpc. Chop out the 1/2 length front facing brickwork with angle grinder then carefully chisel the rest away ready to take a full length brick for the new wall and every other section. The internal wall, best to carry on with clincker breeze block because the stud timber cannot be fix by drilling thru' the bottom dpc plus you will always have hairline crack in plaster with timber expansion. Screw the "L" brackets tie in to the side of the door frame for the new brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back