external front door/frame replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an aging front door which is well rotten. The frame isn't in too bad condition but the opening measures 850mm x 2010mm. There is no sill, just a concrete base.

I visited my local shed which isn't the biggest and the widest doors they had were 838mm wide which would mean a 6mm gap on each side! I also wanted to fit a storm guard at the base as there is no sill but they were only 838mm wideas well and would restrict the height of the door to about 1980mm. :(

I did not really want all the hassle of changing the frame but if I do can these be bought pre-made? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi Jimbo,

You can buy new pre-made door frames, but you'll have to check the width and thickness of your current frame jambs carefully to find a match. Most modern external door frames that you can buy now are made of smaller dimensioned timber than they used to make 'em of.

Last week I searched in vain for a new frame with 96 x 44mm jambs (side bits) and header. They just don't make them that size anymore (and you certainly won't find them in the sheds). So I had to build a new frame myself from the correct size timber. Not a difficult job if you have the correct tools and are reasonably 'handy'.

If the door is exposed to the elements, you really should fit a proper threshold/cill with a water bar (which means you'll have to rebate the bottom of the door), and be sure to fit a weatherboard to the bottom rail of the door, so that rainwater runs away from the threshold.

Not having this could well be why your 'aging front door is well rotten' ! :confused:

A 6mm gap each side shouldn't be a prob, much easier than trimming down a frame that's too big. Shim it well each side with shallow wedges before screwing it in, and fill in with expanding foam, then trim off with a wooden moulding all round both sides. You could alternatively scrape back the foam and use a sealant gun.

You can prevent the foam sticking to the show surfaces by covering them with cling-film and masking tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back