external painting of damp proof course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The course of bricks (5 rows) below the damp proof course are painted in a black paint (was done before I bought the place). I would like to smarten it up by painting again.
what type of paint do I need for this job ? Would this be readily available from B&Q, etc. ?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In the main the paint is ok, however there are some areas where the paint has come (chipped/fallen/rubbed ?) off.

Are you sure the black stuff is paint ? or is it bitumen coated to prevent further damp penetrating ?

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
Are you sure the black stuff is paint ? or is it bitumen coated to prevent further damp penetrating ?

My first thoughts too...give it a rub..most bitumen leaves a brown powdery residue on your hands.

If its normal paint then what it is governs what you should over paint it with

I usually paint (where previously painted) below DPC with masonry paint. Its written somewhere that this area has to breathe.

ps hello u lot . :LOL:

You could try painting over a little section of the black with some oil based undercoat or gloss...if it turns brownish or yellow then that will indicate bitumen

Hello Jon...where you been?....

My house, with a slate dpc, is the same. I have painted it with a bitumen based paint with good results over many years. It needs redoing about every 3 to 4 years and I have no damp inside, although the house has a chemical dpc as well as the original one

I always take it back to a sound surface first with a steel wire brush. Wear thick gloves if you do this or, sooner or later, you will skin your knuckles on the ground which is agony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back