External PIR Light Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first post so go easy.

I have fitted an external halogen light with PIR , I have gone from the existing main wiring (not light wiring as it didn't have earth). I have used a 30A junction box and run from that (2.5mm twin core and earth) into a 3A FCU (none switched). All went well and there seemed to be no problems apart from......the light won't work. Have I made any glaring errors in what I have done? I have not checked the bulb as yet and I am hoping that is the problem but it is never that easy.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes halogen lamps can be put in apparently correct but the ends just are off contact from the live/neutral nibs at one or both ends.Just double check this to be sure.

Sponsored Links
I was doing it at my mums and by the time the light wasn't working I just wanted to get out of there. She was watching me up the ladder screeching "BE CAREFUL LOVE!" and everytime I went inside to check the wiring the heating that she had set to 'Saudi Arabia' made me melt.

I will mess with the bulb tomorrow and let you know guys.

Cheers.

its a lamp, not a bulb, and dont touch it with your fingers, use a small piece of paper folded in half, then poke it round the lamp then hold the paper

Yeah, its a hard habit to get out of. My tutor often screamed "BULBS ARE PLANTED IN THE GARDEN!"

I know about the not touching the lamp, used kitchen roll to hold it when I inserted it.

Checked everything outside, light is fine and so is the lamp, well they don't work still when I swap them with a new light so I can't see me having 2 duff lights and bulbs.

The problem is at the fuse spur, I have power going in but it is blowing the fuse so obviously no power going out, I tested this with the light connected and disconnected and outside there is definitely no power.

Any ideas what could be causing the fuse to instantly blow? Is this a case of rewiring the whole thing in case there is a break? I have rewired the junction box onto another source and used 20A one this time but it is exactly as it was before.

Any help appreciated.

How have you connected your light ?????
Most PIR Lights have connections that you do not connect to, they are for internal links between PIR and Light.
Sounds like a Live to Neutral fault.

The light only has L, N and E and it has no dials to set the walk distance or daytime/night time activation. Just a PiR with a light with only 3 internal connections.

I have gone from the source (socket ring) into a junction box, out of that into the FCU then out of the FCU through the wall outside then into the light. I have a 3A fuse in the FCU. I have checked everything twice and everything is wired as it should be, the only thing I haven't checked yet is the wire from the FCU that goes outside.

I do get power going into the FCU but none going out/getting past the fuse as it blows as soon as power is turned on.

There are no wires touching and everything is where it should be, apart from the one I haven't checked yet, but in my mind it seems to be a problem before the outside wire.

O.k first thing first...
What wattage is the lamp ?
Second...
Go buy yourself a multimeter and double check the length of cable for the section between FCU and luminair for continuity.
Third...
Try changing the FCU plate for a new one as sometimes cheap makes could be faulty and while your at it for future convienience pay a few extra pennies and buy a SWITCHED FCU as some security lights have a facilty to switch it on perminantly if you want to.

I have gone from the source (socket ring) into a junction box, out of that into the FCU then out of the FCU through the wall outside then into the light. I have a 3A fuse in the FCU. I have checked everything twice and everything is wired as it should be, the only thing I haven't checked yet is the wire from the FCU that goes outside.

Has this cable been damaged?

Did you replace this cable?

Is it run in conduit or straight through the wall?

If not could this be the reason the old light failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back