External Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put an external socket outside under the carport but I'm not sure if it is allowed to tap off an internal circuit. It would be most convenient if I could just use the internal ring main, drill through the wall, and not have any cable showing outside. I would either extended the inner ring and or spur off via a switched FCU - Obviously the external socket would need to be a weatherproof type. As the inner circuit is protected by a 32 amp RCD would it be allowed and are there any restrictions regarding the postioning of an external socket?

Sponsored Links
As long as its protected by an RCd rated at 30ma or below (tripping current), and its suitable for the conditions in which it is installed (ie. ones sold for outdoor use are will stand up to the rain, but not being installed in an area that is likely to flood) then its perfectly acceptable to do what you propose, as long as you follow the standard rules for spurs (no spurs off spurs, only one spur off each point, etc)

This "RCD" you mention - does it have a test button? Can you post a picture of it, so we can verify it is actually an RCD protecting this circuit, and not just an MCB.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
This "RCD" you mention - does it have a test button? Can you post a picture of it, so we can verify it is actually an RCD protecting this circuit, and not just an MCB.

Ooops :oops: What I actually meant was that it is on a 32 amp ring circuit protected by MCB that is in the RCD protected zone of the CU - it does have a test button. lettering on RCD:

In = 80A
I^n = 0.03A
Un = 240v

Adam_151 said:
As long as its protected by an RCd rated at 30ma or below (tripping current), and its suitable for the conditions in which it is installed (ie. ones sold for outdoor use are will stand up to the rain, but not being installed in an area that is likely to flood) then its perfectly acceptable to do what you propose, as long as you follow the standard rules for spurs (no spurs off spurs, only one spur off each point, etc)

Cheers mate :D

Tinkler said:
crafty1289 said:

Ooops :oops: What I actually meant was that it is on a 32 amp ring circuit protected by MCB that is in the RCD protected zone of the CU - it does have a test button. lettering on RCD:

In = 80A
I^n = 0.03A
Un = 240v
oh good. You can go ahead and fit a standard outdoor socket then. No additional RCD nessecary.

crafty1289 said:
Tinkler said:
crafty1289 said:

In = 80A
I^n = 0.03A
Un = 240v
oh good. You can go ahead and fit a standard outdoor socket then. No additional RCD nessecary.

great! :D thanks for the help

Tinkler said:
crafty1289 said:
Tinkler said:
crafty1289 said:

In = 80A
I^n = 0.03A
Un = 240v

great! :D thanks for the help

Oh One other thing. Is it acceptable to pin cabling to skirting board that is hidden behind Kitchen base units?

Kai,
Take a look at note 5 on the niceic site with regard to part P and sockets outside, according to the odpm not all sockets outside are notifiable.
But I have to agree in this case it probably will be notifiable as it sounds like the connection to the ringmain will be made in the kitchen (special location).
http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Pocket Guide 8.pdf

One of the most convenient ways to wire an outdoor socket, is to drill a hole through the wall, through one of the knockouts in the back of an existing socket box on the ring main, thread a short length of conduit through (to protect the cable from abrasion on the wall or box) and mount your external socket pretty well back-to-back with the internal one. You then take a spur of this internal socket through the conduit to feed the new external one, and have almost no exposed cable.

Run the cable downhill through the wall, so it goes into the external socket from the bottom, with a gland. This prevents rainwater from running down the cable into either of the socket boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back