External Telephone Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

I need to install a telephone extension from my hallway (which has a master socket), to my lounge. For reasons that are best left outside of this forum I need to do this via the external, rather than the internal, walls.

I have a master socket that looks like this

nte5ext.jpg

Am I correct in think I can wire directly into this?

Also I understand that you need to use external cabling rather than the standard white extension leads. Would one of the following do the job?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Telephone_Cable_External/index.html

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=66&doy=11m10&C=SEO&U=strat15

Tenth one down - http://www.phonesockets.co.uk/shopping.php

Obviously I will need some external cable clips, and a slave socket at the other end.

So presumably the following would provide all that I need?

Third one down - http://www.phonesockets.co.uk/shopping.php

Are there any other things I should be aware of, or would need to complete the job?

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
SellyOakBlade said:
I have a master socket that looks like this

{img}

Am I correct in think I can wire directly into this?
Yes; although you're supposed to wire into the removable panel, not the rear part that houses the PSTN connections.

Also I understand that you need to use external cabling rather than the standard white extension leads. Would one of the following do the job?

{some urls}
Yes.

Obviously I will need some external cable clips, and a slave socket at the other end.
Correct on both counts.

So presumably the following would provide all that I need?

{another url}
Yes.

Are there any other things I should be aware of, or would need to complete the job?
You'll almost certainly need a Krohn tool (aka punch down tool) - it would be worth you getting a decent one, and not rely on the disposable plastic useless one that's shown in the picture you've linked to. You can pay £250 if you want to, but Maplin do a reasonable one for a reasonable price.

Thanks that just what I was looking for.

:D

Any thoughts on which BT standard cable to use, I notice there are a couple available

Sponsored Links
I would use 3 pair, then you can run both signals and the ringer (2&5 and 3) and have 3 spare in case of fault.

CW 1308 is internal spec isn't it.

the important thing is to make sure the cable is suitable for outdoor use, meeting BT spec would also be a good idea to avoid the low quality crap that is often sold.

:oops: Well spotted plug, I miss read the post

CW1308B is internal external and meets all BT specs

I'm curious Pensdown - what are the BT specs to which you refer?

I once called BT and asked them for their cable specs - I got bounced around between departments, none of which had anyone with an answer, until I got bored with trying.

Many moons ago BT would only connect a private network to their public network if it meet certain criteria, one of which was the type of cabling used. They used to carry out a PCI (pre connection inspection) and if the installation did not meet their standards/criteria then they would not connected it, full stop.

CW1308 in its many forms was the only cable that BT would allow for voice networks to make sure the pair colours were the same across the national network.

For example, if we terminated a 100pair CW1308 and told BT that we wanted a number presented on pair 86 they would know that the pair colours should be orange marker 3, cables red/blue – blue/red.

So in the context of the post, CW1308 uses what was the BT approved colours for multi pair cables. 1308B is a non-jell filled internal/external version.

Although you can still use jell filled CW1308 outside not many do because you have to change to internal cable within 3mtrs of entering the building as the jell is highly inflammable.

Most of this is now rapped up under BS-6701 because BT no longer writes the rules

After reading the above are you still awake? :LOL:

I've always found a stanley knife is an excellent tool for pushing the wires into the phone socket - no need for special tools.Never had a problem with this.

Ricicle

iirc the trouble with not using the right tool is unless you are very carefull where you push you can force the blades apart resulting in contacts that work at first but are not reliable.

That why I said use a stanley blade(nice and narrow) and said I've never had a problem.Why buy tools when this will do the trick perfectley well!!

Ricicle

ricicle said:
That why I said use a stanley blade(nice and narrow) and said I've never had a problem.Why buy tools when this will do the trick perfectley well!!

Ricicle
you can get a cheap punchdown tool for 60p! or a proper one with snippers on for £6. Why not get one and do it properly?

Hundreds of telephone/network points done in a factory of 500 people (always moving around) not one bad connection in 10 years - each to their own ;)

Ricicle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back