External Weather Proof Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm putting a weather proof double socket on the back of the house to be used for a fountain pump and pond lights. I was thinking of making a cabinet from plywood to put it in to protect the socket from the weather and help prevent it freezing over winter. I can also use the cabinet to keep fish food in etc so it will be a decent size.

All I am concerned about is if the sockets can be used during sub zero tempratures, it does not mention anything in the instructions and the pump needs to be on 24/7 all year round. Also the transformer for the lights say it needs to be inside, would it be safe enough in the cabinet, out of the elements but subjected to frost?

Thought I best check so I can replan if needed

Thanks

Sponsored Links
so long as it looks similar to
2997_l.jpg
it will be fine and the transformer will be fine too.

to be honest so long as your socket is going in a box, so long as the box is sealed against the elements you can use an ordainary socket. (but the box must be sealed)

The reason is so long as it doesnt ever get wet or damp. And it's supply must be protected by an rcd

Hi Breezer

The box is identical to the one you shown except it has on/off switches. Once opening it up I saw a -25 degree Celcius stamp on it so that's fine and you say the transformers ok too, great.

Thanks alot

Mine is plugged inside the house into an rcd socket and i've used the waterproof light switches (MK) instead of sockets next to the pond so to save me legs (its 30 yards from back door and uphill!) and used to be a bugger when cleaning filter out, back n forth etc.. Depends on the power of your pump, although the switches can handle 10 amps, 2.4 kw and that'd be a geyser of a pump !

Sponsored Links
Hey Scoby

Its only a 500 ltr p/h fountain so not that big. I have nearly finished the cabinet but now realise I have to go outside to turn off the lights, not ideal but I will have to live with it. :oops:

Leave the lights on, okay, you get a few jumbos trying to land but it'll keep the herons away ! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
P.S. you can get timer style low voltage light controllers/transformers, painfully expensive though (£120, ouch !), buy a plug in timer and plug in to that (if weatherproof). Mind, her indoors decided we needed "fairy lights" round the patio and not connected to the timer,, three guesses who has to go out n turn them off !!!
As a final thought, our pump as you say has to run 24/7, remember in the winter to move pump under filter/waterfall outlet, this helps to keep the rest of the pond "settled". i.e. fish can keep in the warmer/ undisturbed bits. But if its just for the fountain leave it in situ and clean the sponge out with pond water before switching off. Best of luck

You know I never even thought of a timer, I've got a couple somewhere I bought for when we go on holiday. I assume it would be safe enough outside seen as they are enclosed in the cabinet, out of the weather.

Seen as you seem rather clued up on this topic, perhaps you can clarify something for me. The pumps instructions says to disconn and take indoors before the winter, do I need to get another one when that time comes? At present it is only a small fountain pump, 2' spray which sits at the centre of the pond on some bricks, I thought this was the only pump I needed.

Cheers, G

there are a couple of reasons to put your pump away in the winter, the main one being so it doesn't freeze, that said i leave mine out 365 days no problems.

you should also have a biological filter to keep your fish healthy you may also want to see this

Thanks for that link Breezer, very useful info, I do intend to get a filter soon only this project has got alot more expensive than originally anticipated. I never even intended to have fish until I found mosquito larvae having a party in it so I got some fish to scoff them up.

I have been having doubts about the pump from the start, I mean how hard can it be to freeze running water even up here in Scotland. Saying that I don't want to find out the hard way either.

G

Hozelock state that if you have a "prima" pump (mine measured at c500gph, 750g pond), as I have, to leave it submerged even if turned off as it stops the seals drying out, check your instructions on what to do.
What we do in the winter is attach the "smaller" fountain pump to the filter under the waterfall/filter outlet to keep the bacteria ticking over, and leave the main pump in the pond.
If you decide to go for a filter, get a u/v as well to prevent green water and a "solids" handling pump (like above).
I worked in Scotland for 2 years and contrary to rumour summer is longer than three days (JUST !!).

there are two schools of thought about pumps and winter, both say take it out of the pond, but one says leave it in a bucket of water, as Scoby_Beasley said.

The easiest thing is to do this.

Leave the pump where it is, but if it is running a filter turn its output down and raise it off the pond floor (put a brick under it)
This is so that it will not draw in the colder water and "wake up the fish" yes fish do "sleep" (well actually their metabolism slows down to almost nothing)

If however your pump is just for a fountain turn it off, and only run it for a couple of minutes once a week. (only if no ice present)

This keeps the seals wet and stops build up of sludge/ sediment.

The reason they say take it out and put it in a bucket of water is that if it does freeze water expands and it will split the pump, but as most ponds are in the ground they never freeze 100%

earlier this year we had very cold weather, my fountains froze over but only to a depth of two inches (yes i did measure it, because i wanted to see could i stand on it, I drilled a hole in it that way i did not break the ice)

Incidentally my fountain is above ground

This is the (nearly) technical bit !!
Have you ever watched the water go down your plug hole ? It goes anti-clockwise, so i bought a rain water butt, drilled and sealed a pipe connector 1/3 of the way up, in an anti-clockwise direction, put a tap in the bottom to drain the crap out, and put an outlet near the top facing clockwise which goes to the filter/waterfall. That way all the "crap" tends to stay in the water butt and you clean your filter out once a year then ! But as I've said before now, we have a sloping garden so this fitted in well with the ground layout.
Its worth it though to see your tiddlers grow into 18" monsters and you can see them under 3' of water.
BUT BEWARE!!!! This can become a time consuming hobby that you had never thought about !!
Makes growing roses sound easy !!!!
As a total aside, I couldnt believe when I worked in Scotland that they had a cricket team, I didnt think there was an area flat enough to put a pitch !!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

you can buy them,they are commonly known as a vortex, as you said all the gunge settles at the bottom and every so often you "purge " (emty ) them via a botton drain. Koi keepers use them, but koi are another subject

I inherited 3 large (now 18" +) koi and as I am "resting" at the mo hence the improvisation in making my own vortex chamber (little money, lots of time !!)

breezer said:
If however your pump is just for a fountain turn it off, and only run it for a couple of minutes once a week. (only if no ice present)

So once I get a filter I won't need the fountain running all the time, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

You must have a pretty big pond scoby to have 18" Koi. I've got just 4 little goldfish which until I get a filter is all I think I can have, the water is getting a bit murky even after only 6 weeks old so I may make this a priority

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back