Extra socket in bedroom required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am currently redecorating the bedroom and would like to fit an extra socket to the wall behind the door where the computer is going to be based (C).

The room had only 2 sockets. (A) 1 double socket on the left as you walk into the room (B) 1 single socket in the far right hand corner of the room.(looking from the doorway) To run the computer before, i had to plug an extension from (B), to another extension to the computer that is behind the door.

I have sinced replaced (B) to a double socket, but i don't wish to have to go back to extension with an extension to run the computer.

I was originally looking to just relocating (A) from current wall to then become (C) but she needs a plug socket located as you walk in to plug the vacuum cleaner in.

I was thinking of running (C) from the connection of (A), under the floor boards and then into some truncking as it will be behind the computer cabinet.

The electrical connections in (A) are of 2 grey mains with 2 x Red, 2 x Black, and 2 x bare (earths) all into the socket and nothing coming out.

Will I be okay to carryout what I would like to do??
Any help appreciatted.

Kev

Sponsored Links
A to B to C or maybe C to A via B. I was completely lost at this point until you explained
The electrical connections in (A) are of 2 grey mains with 2 x Red, 2 x Black, and 2 x bare (earths) all into the socket and nothing coming out.
but that cleared it all up.

You need to find out if your socket circuit is a ring - it probably is, but this is not guaranteed.

If there are two cores leaving the MCB or CU then it's very likely, but still not absolutely guaranteed. You can check either by disconnecting both wires and checking for continuity between them with your multimeter, or by disconnecting one of them and seeing if all the sockets on that circuit still work.

If it's not a ring, you have 2 radials and you can add a socket as you describe.

If it is a ring you need to check that socket A is on it by disconnecting both cables from it and checking that both of them are still live. If they are then it is a ring, and you can spur off from A to C, but it would be much better if you can (and it sounds like you can, given under-floor access) to extend the ring rather than add a spur.

If they are not both still live, then you've already got multiple sockets on a spur, which is dangerous and not allowed, and you certainly must not add any more, and you should sort it out.

Hopefully it goes without saying that you should turn off the power when you are fiddling with the cables, and when you turn it back on for testing, be very careful. Make sure everyone in the house is aware of what you are doing - you don't want somebody turning the power back on while you're fiddling. If you have fuses you can put it in your pocket to ensure no inadvertent re-energising.

Sponsored Links
Mmmmm........

Will investigate further as I am going to be taking the floor boards up soon to replace some so can see exactly what comes upstairs from the MCB and where they go.

Will get back to you soon.

Many thanks for you views.

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back