Extra Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put two additional sockets in the main bedroom and looking for the simplest way of doing it. One socket will be in the wardrobe for the TV only and the other in the wall mainly for a hair dryer and at times the vacuum cleaner. What I dont fancy doing is having all the carpets and boards up to link into the nearest socket. The bedroom wall backs onto the airing cupboard when cables go into a consumer unit to feed three grundfos heating pumps. Are these cables from the lighting circuit or the ring main? I have bought 2.5mm cable but it looks much heavier than the cable going into the unit. Advice please

Sponsored Links
One socket will be in the wardrobe for the TV only

Don't put a socket IN a wardrobe! Have a socket near bye and if needed run a double extension socket in to the wardrobe via a hole. Then if you move, the wardrobe isn't fixed on to the permanent house wiring.

The bedroom wall backs onto the airing cupboard when cables go into a consumer unit to feed three grundfos heating pumps

Why would you have 3 pumps? One normally does the job, maybe your getting confused with circuits for thermostat, pump and 3 way valve, all of which will have wiring. Due to low amp demand these items can be wired in 1.0mm TE or 1.5mm TE. You can't take feeds from them to the new sockets.

I would suggest that you break in to the existing ring for the 1st floor and put in a 13amp fused spur, from this fused spur you can run a spur cable for service to both sockets.

The fuse will prevent more than 13 amp being drawn and there should be no issue with a TV, vacuum cleaner and hairdrier being used.

If you want to trace the existing ring cabling, you will have to look under the floor, with luck you may get away with only having to lift a few boards. When the carpets pulled back look for boards that might have been lifted before (like for when the wiring was put in)

Thanks all for comments - wardrobe is a built in, there are infact two pumps and a heating thermostat. I guess the response is that these are likely to be fed from the lighting circuit or a lesser cable than I need for sockets. I am not happy to lift carpets, boards so I guess I could chisel out the stud partition and take a feed from a socket into the built in wardrobe - it is about 3 foot and behind a chest of drawers so wall finish after filling is not that crucial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back