Extractor fan problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having difficulty wiring in a bathroom extractor fan.
I took out a (broken) fan with timer and am trying to put in a fan without a timer. From the ceiling I have a cable with 3 wires L,N and earth and a seperate L (I'm assuming this is the switched live) cable. On the old fan the L and N were connected with the switched L the earth was not used. The new fan has 3 connections L,N and one helpfully unlabelled. The instructions say it does not need to be earthed however the unlabelled connection has a green and yellow wire. The black and white instructions have an illustration showing 3 wires connected but gives no clues as to what they might be! I've tried various combinations but the fan will not work.
Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
i think you need a meter to find which does what, ignoring the earth for the time being that only leaves 2 wires, live and neutral, which need a live and neutral, you must have id the wrong one as switch

Could you possibly post a photo of the connector and attached wires in the fan?

Also are you sure the new fan is not a timer model?

Do you have a tester which you could use to determine which wire is the permanent live, and which is the switched live? (with guidance if necc.)

Does the new fan have this symbol anywhere on it or in the instructions? :
dinsulated.jpg

On the old fan they were wired into the L,N and switched L slots and that did used to work fine. I'm now even more confused...
Very impressed with the speedy response though! :D

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Could you possibly post a photo of the connector and attached wires in the fan?

Also are you sure the new fan is not a timer model?

Do you have a tester which you could use to determine which wire is the permanent live, and which is the switched live? (with guidance if necc.)

Does the new fan have this symbol anywhere on it or in the instructions? :
dinsulated.jpg
I can post a photo but it'll probably take a while an I'm still working out how to use this website!

The new fan definitely doesn't have a timer.

I haven't got access to a tester but I'm assuming they are as they were in the old fan .

No sign of that symbol I'm afraid.

It was a very cheap fan I'm wondering if I might be better off taking it back and hoping I can find one with better instructions!

posting a photo info is in forum information

you could always use chock bloc to fit a plug with 3a fuse to see does it actulay work

I have to admit to being fairly new at the whole wiring thing. I've done a spotlight and a couple of switches successfully and found them fairly straightforward but I have no idea what a choc block is!

I'm starting to think I might need an electrician...
Seen the picture of the choc bloc but don't know how to attach it (between?) plug and fan.

You need to connect a piece of cable or flex between the live and neutral pins of the plugtop and the terminals on the fan. (just to test the fan)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back