F&E Tank circulating hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems like we have an old system that has been modified over the years. I think it started out as a gravity system but has now been converted to an "S" plan. I am currently experiencing problems with the central heating side, when the heating clicks off there is a rush of hot water that goes up the vent pipe and in to the F&E tank. I also have to keep bleeding the rad in the bathroom and one of the rads in the bedroom doesn't get warm but the one downstairs below it, that is T'ed off from the same pipe does get hot.

Could fitting an Air Separator on the vent pipe cure this ? :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
Probably - you need the feed to join the cct just after the vent. Turn off the downstairs rad - does the upper one get hot then? If so try opening it just a teeny bit!

Converting a gravity system to a fully pumped requires system modifications.

From the boiler end of the flow pipe it should be open vent, cold feed, pump, it also requires an auto by-pass valve.

Sponsored Links
Doitall

Nice to see you have defected to us from Screwfix.
You'll find the regulars on Diynot are a lot more friendly than the Screwfix mob :LOL:
Welcome aboard :D

will have to look in and see then

must remember the mic this time :confused:

Converting a gravity system to a fully pumped requires system modifications.

From the boiler end of the flow pipe it should be open vent, cold feed, pump, it also requires an auto by-pass valve.

Hi doitall,
I am sorry to barge in this thread. Is it ok and if not please ask moderator to erase my post[I am sorry if it is wrong]

Can the open vent, cold feed in that order be attached into vertically raising flow pipe [it is from the boiler end of the flow pipe]? If so should there be any specific distance between them maintained?

The HF is on the right marked by a red arrow. Can the vent below and the cold feed above attached on that vertically raising HF?

View media item 53966
Would you mind answering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back