fan in a room flue test

B

B.O.B DOLE

if testing a flue with a smoke bomb with a fan in the room is this the way to do it

turn fan on at full speed close windows and doors light smoke bomb then nip out side then check the attic space.

another question is does the room have to be a certain size before a fan is permitted or is a fan not permitted in all secumstances.

Sponsored Links
The idea of testing a ceiling fan is to test it in its worst case scenario. I would suggest closing all doors and windows and repeat the smoke test with the fan running at full speed both clockwise and anticlockwise. This would also be done on the spillage test.
In the instructions with some new ceiling fans it is recommended that it is NOT installed in the same room with any open flued appliance. personally I always recommend they are disconnected if in the same room as a gas fire.

Thanks for the smart arsed reply but has bob mentioned AC units. From the question he has asked it sounded like a ceiling fan.

Sponsored Links
ansam said:
From the question he has asked it sounded like a ceiling fan.
Nothing about ceilings in his question. The assumption must be that he's talking about extractor fans.

chrishutt said:
ansam said:
From the question he has asked it sounded like a ceiling fan.
Nothing about ceilings in his question. The assumption must be that he's talking about extractor fans.

Or a portable one!

andsam said:
Thanks for the smart a***d reply but has bob mentioned AC units. From the question he has asked it sounded like a ceiling fan.

well sorry for the confusion but i do mean ceiling fans
what does the corgi book say i have lost mine

B.O.B. there was no confusion in the question you posted ,It is something I come across daily. It is just unfortunate that when we try to give as good advise as we can other people like to knock it.

You only have the fan on during the spillage test not the flue flow test.
The flue flow test is to confirm the integrity of the flue throughout its length

scatmanjohn said:
The flue flow test is to confirm the integrity of the flue throughout its length

it just that some engineers i know are telling tenants that they have to have the fan removed if it passes the spillage test whith it on full i cant see a problem here.
does anyone know what the regs says about these ceiling fans

I am sure the regs state as long as it is tested in both directions on full speed and spillage is not effected it can be left.

B.O.B DOLE said:
scatmanjohn said:

it just that some engineers i know are telling tenants that they have to have the fan removed if it passes the spillage test whith it on full i cant see a problem here.
does anyone know what the regs says about these ceiling fans

Why would you have to remove the fan if the spillage test on the appliance is ok?
Your supposed to carry out a spillage test with the fan off first, then on each setting (not backwards unless it has a backwards setting) some have up to three settings. Obviously doors and windows closed.
Also if any there are any fans in adjoining rooms you should do a spillage test with the door to that room open and the fan on.
This includes, ceiling fans,cooker hoods,wall extractor fans,tumble driers,dehumidifiers,etc etc

I concurr.

You should have bought the 1/2 price corgi manual from George Orwell on ARGI forum. Too lkate, I got it, and a new unsafe situations which has been updated to reflect the fact that Corgi have had it all wrong all these years about which category insufficient ventilation evokes.

Of course unscrupulous major national organisations who like to slag off independents in their tv advertising are using this as a fantastic tool to sell a whole new boiler to folk just because their fitters can't be bothered to create the correct ventilation, despite the fact it may well have been them that fitted it in the first place and the rules haven't changed, so they should do it for free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back