Fault code readers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering getting a fault code reader, but don't know much about them. I maintain a Vauxhall Vectra and a Fiat Brava. Could I get one reader for both cars? Is OBD the standard system or are there others? Is it better to get a stand alone reader or cable and software for a laptop?
Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think your best bet (initialy) would be to search the web for info on fault code readers,many diferent makes/types/prices.Depends what systems your cars have ect. Some have "flash codes" and some need dedicated readouts.I have a Sykes Pikavant ACR4.Your Fiat needs a reader like this,the Vectra may or may not need one,depends on engine and year i.e. could have a self test read (flash codes) via the MIL light.I think Vectra B has this system. Vectra C. needs the code reader.

Post more info. about your cars and I'll tell you what system you should need to use.

;)

Depending on how much you want to spend, there is a guy with an ebay shop (autodiagnostics i think his name is) who is selling handheld scanners.
He's an auto diagnostics guy and when i met him to pick up a scanner i bought, he said he uses the one he's selling on ebay as it's simple to use and works on most cars on the road. If he needs any further info he gets the expensive kit out.

I've got a scanner called Elmscan5 which is an interface which plugs into a laptop. It covers the 5 main protocols and has managed to connect to every car ive used it on so far. Uses the OBDII connection and the software with it is good. Can get up all your sensor temperatures, engine speeds etc etc which you cant with the basic handheld scanners.

Think it was around £110 including vat, delivery, cables and software.

Do a google for it!

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian

You need a code reader for both your vehicles (no self test on either)
I think you should search as suggested,Best of luck.

;)

Thanks for all your posts. I have ordered the Elmscan 5 from ESP Automotive. Hope I can find out why the engine management light keeps coming on in the Vectra now :!:

Back