Faulty Circuit While Replacing Light Bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.I have a 5 tier light installed in the living room.One bulb fused so i decided to change it with the mains on :cry: Silly i know.When i did,the light shorted out and went off.I assumed the MCB tripped and that there was nothing to worry about.I then replaced all the bulbs with new ones,reset the MCB (lever type) and turned the switch on.Light wont come on.Thought maybe light was dud.Checked for power through the wires,nothing.What could possibly be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Merry christmas and a happy new year.Regards Sam

Sponsored Links
loose or burnt out wire.

do the rest of the lights on this mcb work?

If all the other lights works then it could be (in order of accessibility) the light switch in that room (especially if it is a dimmer); the lamp fitting (is 5-tier a sort of chandelier?) especially the lampholder you had the problem with, or the ceiling rose.

If you haven't already got one, splash out £8 on a simple multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Yes its a chandelier type.There is a dimmer installed and a two way switch,one for the kitchen.The lampholder and chandelier are fine as i connected a working light in its place,but still no luck..What do you mean by ceiling rose? Thanks for your reply. :eek:

p1685006_l.jpg

Fastened to the ceiling.

But as you have a dimmer switch I expect it's buggereded. Swap it for an ordinary switch before you spend time on anything else.

You probably have something equivalent hidden under a bell-shaped brass cover.

Hooray !! Faulty dimmer switch was the culprit.Changed it with new switch and all is well.Upon inspection of the faulty dimmer.the pcb has a broken track where it blew.So might solder a link wire and got meself a working dimmer. P.s It isnt a cheap one.Polished silver. :eek: Thanks to all that replied.happy new year,and this site deffo helps.keep up the good work.One happy,satisfied customer :LOL:

If it can be done safely, an inline 1A fuse (or lowest possible for the lamp load) might help next time. Some dimmers have one as standard.

polished CHROME dimmers can still have cheapo gubbins. Its the faceplate that's expensive on these.

And out of interest, @ the sparks here, is it possible to create a short in a BC fitting while inserting the lamp?

I have had one short while removing a lamp, but this was a DIY install on which the wires in the lampholder had been left protruding from the terminals by about 15mm, causing a short between one of the lampholder pins and one of the wires.

The short took out two 32A type B breakers (no discrimination) while leaving a 13A BS1361 intact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back