1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Faulty Electricity Meter?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Deryck Tintagel, 8 Jul 2021.

1. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is not irrelevant at all. The OP has bought an instrument that does not do what it says on the can. It is not fit for purpose and should not be sold.

He has stated that his meter dial is not rotating as it should. That is all he needs to know.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    What do you think is the OPs purpose?

4. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Once I had established the average power factor and voltage of my installation with which to configure the Owl (both of which are incredibly consistent from day to day), my Owl has proved extremely accurate for a whole installation over any reasonable period of time.

Since 5th April 2017, my supplier's meter has shown total Day usage of 18,533 kWh and total Night usage of 16,590 kWh. The corresponding figures from my Owl have been 18,552 and 16,622 kWh respectively - representing differences of about 0.10% and 0.19% respectively, which is plenty good enough for me. The same close correspondence exists of any time period from 24 hours upwards.

It makes no sense to say that they "tend to read high", since whether they read high, low or dead right depends entirely on what PF and voltage one programs into the Owl.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BS3036

BS3036

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Please pay attention. I did not call your post irreverent, but irrelevant. You seem to be losing your grasp on words.

6. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Interesting John. I was not aware that you could programme your average power factor into the Owl. Similar devices to the Owl I have come across have no means to programme either voltage or power factor into them. How did you determine your average power factor?

7. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Spell checker typo fixed.

8. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't expect you to be aware of everything. This is the relevant Owl set-up screen, showing the default values for voltage and PF...

upload_2021-8-15_23-9-39.png
    I can't speak for whatever devices you may have come across.
    From the kWh and KVArh registers on my meter.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sponsored Links
  10. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Never seen KVArh register on a domestic meter either.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deryck Tintagel

Deryck Tintagel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Who would have thought a this could cause so much discussion!

Unfortunately, my Owl does not allow me to change anything in terms of PF and voltage. I am not interested in knowing if I am using power to the nth decimal place just a rough but reasonable idea and I think the Owl has done this. The meter not spinning is also a bit of a giveaway :)

I have gone back through all my statements and the last few readings could have been a reduction in usage but the last one just confirmed somthing wrong. Using the Owl for a few days shows that the average over the period is, so far, very close to what I might expect from my meter readings - weekends may bit a bit higher so just out of curiosity I might leave it running for a while and until the meter is sorted. It is quite enlightening to see what standing power consuption is like through the day. Accepting the possibility that below a few hundred watts the reading may not be reliable I get around 170W for the house

I have contacted my supplier to let them know i have a fautly meter. Just need to avoid the smart one again!

Last edited: 16 Aug 2021
  12. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I obviously can't help'what you've seen'. My Elster A1140 ('dumb') meter certainly does. From the manual ...

upload_2021-8-16_11-49-16.png
    However, that was merely a convenience. Had that register not existed, I would have determined average PF by dividing the kWh figure from the meter by the KVAh figure reported by the Owl (as "kWh") when programmed with PF=1.0.

To give a feel for how high the average PF is for a whole typical domestic installation, as I reported yesterday, when I last checked my meter it was indicating a total usage of 35,123 kWh (18,533 Day + 16,590 Night) since 5th April 2017. Over the same period, it indicated a total of 3,950 kVArh. Hence:

Average PF = 35,123 / √(35,123² + 3,950²) = 0.9937

Kind Regards, John

13. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Which Owl do you have?
    Quite so - and I'm sorry that someone has (unfortunately, for him 'inevitably') thrown in the red herring of the theoretical inaccuracy of kWh measurements which do not take actual voltage and PF into account. As you say, a monitor utilising its (whatever) assumptions about voltage and PF is more than adequate for your purpos.
    That's clearly what needs to be done. Let us know how things work out.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Deryck Tintagel

Deryck Tintagel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is the Owl Mini - it was one of the cheapest to be found on ebay

I will update once I have the issue resolved. Thanks to all for their input

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I must say that I haven't heard of that one (and nor, it seems, has Mr Google). Do you perhaps mean the Owl Micro? That one does allow you to set voltage, but not PF. However, if my installation is anything to go by then, for 'whole installation monitoring', assuming that PF=1 will make no significant difference - my average PF of 0.9937 is mighty close to 1.0 :)
    Please do - and I hope the resolution is straightforward and rapid!

Kind Regards, John