faulty expansion vessel or worse???? glowworm 75 p comi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
water is leaking from safety overflow @3 bar.have re set the safety valve,topped up to .7 bar bled rads fired back up,runs up to 3bar after 16 mins, blows water out @3bar again.have been advised to re charge to 14psi the expansion vessel, undid cap on the top of it ,and pushed in the air valve needle, water spurts out of it.Have been advised to discharge pressure from system thru safety valve, hold it in open position,turn off ch,flow and return valves to rads,apply footpump to expansion vessel to re charge to 14 psi.set at 14psi close safety valve,open flow return to rads,repressurise to .7bar,bleed rads, fire system up.Is this procedure correct?
I assume that there should be no water where you should be pressurising with air,and the expansion vessel has had it .Can one be mounted externally if it needs replacing, as its an off the wall job to get to change the existing expansion vessel, or is it something else, as the safety valve only lets water out at the correct pressure. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
If water coming out of the pressure vessel valve it's nacked, fit a seperate vessel same or similar capacity, size as in boiler installation instructions.

Hey pedanticvindictiveman, thanks ;)
Thought so, it only stopped leaking water out as the safety valve was left open to drop the system pressure.One more point, will it still be safe to use the domestic water circuit for showers etc..have set the boiler to summertime mode only,till i can get it sorted, cheers ;)

You can supply your showers with the domestic hot water from your combi, but if the combi isn't a modulating type it may not mix too well, get a thermostatic mixer specially for combi's for best results.

Sponsored Links
pendanticvindictiveman, will the boiler be ok to use now,with a defective pressure vessel for domestic hot water only, ( summer setting on the panel?)system charged to 1 bar,and holding pressure cold. Err indoors is screaming for a shower

give it a go the worst that will happen is it will go overpressure again if the prv has been dripping for a while it will prob need replacing as well
put a new ex vessel on the pipework as long os it has a permanent open path ie no valves etc you can put it anywhere :D

Me and PlumpKev are a double act, but I will be off line for a week from tommorow,:( hope Kev can manage on his own :LOL:

Everytime I use my Bottywarm boiler the wifes lips turn blue and the carbon monoxide detector keeps beeping, sorted that by taking out the battery and giving the wife some lipstick, or was it the other way round, having such a problem concentrating for some reason, bloody windows still misted up, gonna get Crapseal windows back, again, mind you they were a good price, and Mensa registered, £250.00 for 15 windows and 5 doors and a conservatory with a free £1000.00 cashback, gauranteed for 2000 years, bloke down the pub said he could get it cheaper by his mate for a couple of drinks, looks like I got ripped off again, robbin baastards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back