Faulty Hotpoint WMA64

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All, Does anyone have any idea why my Hotpoint WMA64 washing machine is faulty? On the wash cycle, while the drum is at rest and the water heater is on, there is a mechanical knocking sound. It doesn't sound like a solenoid valve fluttering, nor does it sound like the drive motor. But it is quite a loud sound, which disappears as soon as the drum starts to turn again. Each time the drum comes to rest, back comes the sound. It only occurs during the wash cycle, but I have noticed that some times the machine now misses out the rinse and spin cycles and just stays dormant with the door still locked at the end of the wash cycle. Kind regards to you all, hope someone can perhaps suggest the likely cure.

Sponsored Links
Hello Breezer, Thank you for your interest. The machine is just coming up to 4 years old.

i am wondering is the heater loose, i.e expands when hot, but i am not so sure now, dont try and take it oiut as the seals never seal again.

when its in heat pause pull the drawer open and you should be able to here the noise of a quiet kettle (as well as your odd noise.)

spin the drum by hand too (obviously when empty and off, see does that do anything

Sponsored Links
Thank you for those suggestions Breezer. I spent some time checking the machine last night both empty and when washing. Firstly, I can indeed hear the heater working during the wash cycle when the drum is at rest. Secondly, there is no unusual noise when I spin the empty drum. But what I did notice last night is that when the noise occurs, there is also a small amount of water being discharged from the drain hose. So I thought that perhaps the noise is coming from the pump that for some reason is 'pulsing'. But the pump is at rest. I also wondered whether perhaps the noise is coming from a chattering mag valve or relay, but the noise is too loud for that. I can best describe the noise as a loud, deep sounding clicking which is not regular but sounds irregular like morse code would sound. (Perhaps it's trying to tell me something?) When the noise is occurring, I can feel a vibration which is most prominent when I put my hand low down on the side casing on the left hand side when viewed from the front. Cor, don't I go on! Kind regards.

If the noise is the pump pulsing small amounts of water this is a common pressure switch fault.

Well done lads, you've cracked it! I found that the small plastic pipe leading up to the pressure switch was totally blocked with a white creamy residue. Moreover, the hose from the bottom of the outer drum casing to the pump was also badly blocked. After cleaning everything out, I reassembled the machine and it has just finished a complete wash cycle without any noises or problems whatsoever. Thank you both very much for your comments and advice. Being a curious type of bloke, I was wondering a bit about the control systems in these machines and I wondered if you could tell me about these points: 1. Is the water level in the drum the same for both the wash cycle and the rinse cycle, or are they different? 2. If for some reason water kept flowing into the drum such that it became very overfull, is there a safety arrangement that would start the pump and thus prevent a flood? If so, is that safety procedure activated by the same pressure switch? 3. What causes that creamy white residue? Is it the Calgon tablets, or the washing liquid, or could it be perhaps caused by the Comfort in the rinse compartment. Is there any way to prevent it building up? We do have a good mains water pressure in this area. Once again, many thanks for your time and help.

your water pressure in this case is irelevant, since it goes through the valves through the soap dispenser then into the drum

i cant speak for new HP's but on the old ones it did it have an over flow, its called the soap drawer (assuming the door is shut)

water level depends on programme, woolens uses more

pipes get blocked upo mostly because of calcium build up and or wrong powder, yes wrong powder.

there is a well known brand from a well known el cheapo store that is full of "filler" if this brand is used and with hard water as we have in luton it was not un common for a m/c to get its banana blocked in a few months.

washing liquid is not really what they were desigend for, stick to a well known brand of powder.

you should (as and when required) give the m/c a "service wash"

put half a packet of washing soda crystals in the drum. nothing else, put m/c on hottest wash let its cyclle run

Thanks for that, Breezer. Now that the machine is 'rocking and rolling' again, we will take your advice and periodically give it a service wash in the way you describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back