Faulty Rover Earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I hope you are able to help shed some light on this problem. I am the lucky owner of a Rover 218SLD :confused: . It has recently developed an electrical problem. I suspect a faulty earth, but have yet to been able to track it down. All circuits function perfectly normally without the headlights switched on. However, with the headlights powered the following symptoms occur:

-No dash instrument illumination.
-Clock fails to operate
-Headlight main beam indicator bulb reversed (bulb illuminates on dip, turns off on main).
-Both direction indicator bulbs permanently lit. They still blink correctly when the indicators are operated.
-Rev counter reads low and also blinks from low to zero with the direction indicators.
-Fuel and engine temperature gauges constantly read maximum.
-Rear fog lights occasionally illuminate when headlight turned on, regardless of fog light switch state.
-Rear window demist button inoperative. Switch bulb weakly illuminated.
-Rear fog light button inoperative. Switch bulb weakly illuminated.

I have disassembled, cleaned, remade, and checked the continuity of the main earth to the gear box, the main earth from the battery to the chassis, and the multiplug earth to the offside wing inside the engine bay.

If anyone can suggest where else to look then I would be eternally grateful.

Michael

Sponsored Links
It could be the headlight switch its self at fault.
If you have a spare switch, try swopping over.
Quick fit

Unfortunately,could be anywhere.
Could be lightswitch,as suggested.
Could also be instrument panel,light unit(s),dashboard...get the idea.
It's at the level where it may be a job for an auto electrician :cry:

Yes I agree about the switch too, I'm not that conversant with these cars though,I would of thought they have relay's for the headlights. It may be worth looking because a faulty relay could effect the switch. They would normally be in the fuse box or on the inner wing. They often have 2 the same dip/beam and you can sometimes swap them round to eliminate them.

Sponsored Links
Back