Faulty seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are experiencing condensation between the panes in some of our windows. The windows were fitted professionally nearly ten years ago, but the windows manufacturer has since disappeared.

Can I buy the spacers and seals and replace these onto the existing glass? The glass in most of the windows in reinforced and therefore expensive.

Sponsored Links
It's the seals on the glass which cause condensation between the glass panels, not the seals on the windows.

unfortunately these cannot be repaired and replacing the glass panels is the only method of curing it. In some cases it may be more prudent to replace the window altogether.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If you can find a friendly double glazing company, they can take the sealed unit out and reseal it for you. It's not a long job and shouldn't cost a lot.

We had a quote to have our Sealed units re-sealed. The cost of removing glass, dismantling, cleaning, re-sealing and refitting, worked out approx 35% more than replacing the glass altogether.

And thats if you can find a company willing to the work.

Sponsored Links
One of the benefits of having double glazing, we've still got some of the original 120 year old windows with single glazing (and we can see through it). Bliss :D

I had to replace one of my sealed units recently. I got a replacement through a local glass supplier. However you have to take the old one out first to get the thickness of the unit - this is the critical measurement. As it took about a week to get the new one made I replaced it temporarily with a pane of clear glass. My unit was approx 200mm x 400mm and cost me around £12.

oilman said:
One of the benefits of having double glazing, we've still got some of the original 120 year old windows with single glazing (and we can see through it). Bliss :D

Know what you mean, I would like sash windows in next property. Wife permitting. UPVC Double Glazing is ok till it goes wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back