Faulty socket or dodgy computer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I got a call from a client the other day who I did some work for about 7 months ago. She said a socket I touched (loosened the plaste to check connections) has blown up her computer and doesnt work! Anyway went there today and plugged in my tester on volts and surprise surprise I got 246V. Did a Zs test and got 0.28. Loosened socket to check connections and cables etc and all is good.Plugged in 2 other appliances and they worked fine. Checked the fuse in the plug of pc supply and it's fine. Checked the load side of the supply cable and its fine. An ideas on how this socket "blew up" the pc? I am worried she is gonna try and swindle a new one! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not too uncommon for the psu in a computer to just fail, expecially if its a cheapo one and run near its max cont. rating

Thanks for reply. The pc is def not a pentium and looks at least 10 years old - have decided that if she is still not happy and insists that the socket blew it up then she can get a second opinion and if I am wrong then I will pay - my money is safe tho! :D

I go weith Adam on this. Having built hundreds of PC's over the years I know how temporamental the PSU's can be, even good quality ones.

The socket cannot blow up the PC anyway..she's a scamming moose.

Sponsored Links
@69er,

hi mate, I work as a field engineer repairing electronic tills... computers with cash drawers and a cust display.... so all in all just a computer with extra bits hanging off it.

Anyway, u will be amazed at the amount of customers who blame us engineers for something not working.. ie .. fixed cash draw 6 months ago and now the scanner doesnt work.. and we get the blame lol !!

I think her PSU in the computer has blown too... this is very common.

So if she's trying to pull a fast one.. ask her how the pc was repaired and what was replaced.

I have seen customers (when the pc has crashed or hung) switch it on and off in the space of a nanasecond ... I keep telling them to switch off and count to 10 before switching it back on but they take no notice !

hope this helps
Cheers
Geordie

Thanks guys - before I was 99.9% I was correct - now I know I am!!! :LOL: Strangely when we did the job for her she was spot on and never gave us trouble - even when we had to rip up the upstairs floor to replace broken leg in ring! Will see what she says before I judge her! Moose? I like! Thanks again!

i have had a PSU in my computer, its been working for 4-5 years, and i recently added some items to it, the psu came with a ready built computer, and it copes fine, i bet its near its limit too. Then again i do run the pc without its cover, so heat can escape. . . . :rolleyes:

It`s just one of many "old Chestnuts" Like:-
My TV does not work since you rewired my house.
That World war 1 electric fire trips the RCD it did not before you rewired .

Big_Spark said:
I know how temporamental the PSU's can be, even good quality ones.

I'm not convinced that "good quality" pc power supplies exist. Have you ever taken the lid off one? The innards are usually pretty horriffic to look at.

edited to correct quote

slippyr4 said:
I'm not convinced that "good quality" pc power supplies exist.
I'm pretty sure they do, if you buy from one of the quality suppliers that has a large corporate market - Compaq, Dell, IBM....

In reliability surveys brands like these consistently score higher than all the brands that the PC magazines feature whenever they run a "Giant test of 10GHz PCs for under £1.99" report, i.e. at least once a month.

And funnily enough, the reliable brands consistently cost more.

We have around 12000 computers on site, and I can hand on heart tell you dell power supplies are appauling (this was in the GX Range)

We only bought around 400 of these and never again.

We a primarilly a HP (compaq) site and I think I have only ever seen maybe 10 HP's with faulty PSU's

To be fair though they are bespoke psu's in the Small form factor 'Deskpro's' that we use, not your common or garden tiwaneese ATX psus.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back