faulty TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
first post in this section, be nice! We have a 14 inch portable TV, have had it for 12-13 years. It has been in my bedroom, my parents bedroom, my sisters bedroom, and has found its final resting place on a bracket in the kitchen. Just recently, it has been making strange patterns on the screen.

The picture will get horrid colour bias for a few of seconds, flickering with purple, then a bright flash of green comes up, then its fine for a few minutes and it happens again.

1. is it safe?
2. is it repairable?
3. will it be cheaper to get a new TV?
4. will it be cheaper to get a new LCD tv? :LOL:

cheers!

Sponsored Links
it is repairable, but not by a diy person, cheaper to get new tv

also let the rich folk buy the lcd's and plasma's until they become better value - good old CRT's are far better than LCD and in my opinion better than all but the most expensive plasma although things are slowly changing....

I've just bought a 14" Alba with Teletext from Kwik Save for £39 and it's brilliant.

Sponsored Links
I must disagree with you olly, LCDs, in my opinion, have far better contrast and clarity, and brightness, than CRTs. They also flicker far less, making them especially useful for computer monitors, and more pleasant for general TV viewing.

on the subject of my tv, anyone know what exactly is wrong with it? im not going to try to repair it myself, I know of the dangers lurking inside a TV (10s of 000s of volts) im just curious before i chuck it in the "tvs only" container at the local tip!

does the tube make a noise when this occurs? It definately sounds like a discharge problem if on board should be easy enough to fix if it is the tube (quite likely with age) then I am afraid the bin is the only place for this telly.
I still stand by what I said regarding LCD's but if you are happier going down that route who the hell am I to tell you otherwise!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back