Faulty WC Siphon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys and gals,

My WC recently developed a faulty flush, as a result I changed the diaghram in the siphon. For about 10 flushes this worked fine, however it developed a rather strange fault. When I flushed the toilet only a small amount of water entered the pan (not enough to flush the contents away), this was followed by a small but constant stream of water flowing through the siphon (you could see the water in the siphon passing over the top of inverted U). This doesn't end as the ball valve lets water enter the cistern, resulting in the siphon constantly refilling and feeding the siphon. Unless the supply is cut off this is continuous.

I have changed the siphon (the original was 8", the new is 9.5) but exactly the same thing happens, weak initial flush, funny gargling noises and continuous flow into the pan. I have also changed the setting on the siphon to a 6, 7 and 9 litre flush, again with no effect.

Is this common with siphons, if so is there any way it can be sorted as the toilet is currently unusable. In case it matters it's an old Armitage Shanks low level WC.

Terry

Sponsored Links
Cheers Kevplumb,

I'll give that a shot, I take it that you find it unlikely that it's the siphon itself then?

Terry

wouldnt think so
have had the same problem in pubs with smack heads opening there stash and dpopping the clingfilm in the cistern
and to think i was once innocent ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back