Fence dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a quick question that hopefully can be answered by someone of more experience than me.

I have had a few quotes for a new fence but as I am also going to do some small landscaping in the garden I need to know if this should be done before or after.

Basically the garden slopes slightly away from the house. I would like to convert this slope into 2 separate flat sections. I will be having closeboard fencing put in (not panels) and would prefer to have it put in now with the garden sloping so it follows the slope and then landscape afterwards. I think this will look neatest. BUT, I can also see the argument for having the garden landscaped THEN having the fence put in. Unfortunaletly I think this will make the fence look too sectioned and create a jump in the fencing slope which I really dont want.

I've put in a few diagrams below to try and explain my dilemma. Basically, the green line is the current slope of the garden. The red lines are how I want to landscape it and the brown is the fence. The step up from the bottom section to the top will certainly be no more than a foot.

Any advice is, as always, much appreciated.

Fence following the original slope....
fence1.jpg

Fence following the landscaped line.....
fence2.jpg

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
no gardner :D ;)
what are you doing to retain the soil at the edge!!!!
you shouldnt have soil touching the gravel boards [unless they are concrete] or fence as it will rot it

big-all said:

I will be using sleepers or something similar.

big-all said:
you shouldnt have soil touching the gravel boards [unless they are concrete] or fence as it will rot it

Is there something I can put inbetween the soil and fence? maybe tarpaulin or something? is the idea shown in the first diagram actually viable?

big-all said:

Do you mean 'you are no gardner'? or 'do i not have a gardner'?

sorry that should say "I" am no gardner :rolleyes: ;)

if your using 6"gravel boards you can use these to cover some off the difference in hight with earth covering one side or the other you will just have to replace them more often
if you introduce plastic you just have something else to trap moisture against the wood

dont forget you need 33% of the post in the ground so if you have a 6ft fence a six"gravel board and say the ground is stepped down a further say 12"to ground level on one side that would be 7'6" plus 50% = 11'3" long posts

also your fence must'nt be greater than 6'6" or 2m above the ground level

Sponsored Links
big-all said:

thats the whole idea of gravel boards. they are sacrificial and can easily be replaced, while the rset of the fence remains.

it will be a lot easier to erect the fence after. if you do closeboard, you could shape the top to avoid the step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back