Fencing dilemma...concrete or wooden posts????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found this site and saved it to fav's straight away!
Trying to convince neighbours that it is cheaper to obtain materials and build a new fence than to employ a company, sourced a good sawmill who can supply wood for less than half the price! Having a disagreement as they want concrete posts and gravel boards where we just want the good old natural look of wood...which is best??

Sponsored Links
ah the eternal question, now youve started the ball rolling again! Personally i much prefer timber posts, both to install and look at. Some will say that concrete will last longer than timber, but it depends on the quality of the timber and the pressure treatment. Concrete can last longer but can also spall as the reinforcement inside rusts. Whichever you do, make sure you use gravel boards (timber or concrete) it looks better and helps the panel last longer

well if it helps, we have concrete posts, but i painted them the same colour as i painted the fence

Thanks for the advice guys, next door will just have to like timber or put another fence up on their side! (although in order not to fall out i'm sure there will be some compromise!).

Sponsored Links
may be able to suggest a compromise :idea: Timber, after many years will rot @ ground level but can be repaired with concrete spurs @ the side...so don`t make the post hole `crete too strong and later it can be kangoed out and spured ;)

Or save the trouble... put in the concrete spurs at original build, and have the wooden posts above ground level.

Then when you want to replace them you just have to cut the nuts off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back