Fencing ON TOP of a rough (mostly) dry stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas on this problem please. Garden surrounded by a stone wall at present. Varying width (3 feet - 1 foot) and height (2 feet - 3 feet). Most is dry stone wall construct with some mortared areas (presumably from repair), sloping face 20-30 degrees. Need to increase height to 5-6 feet to retain a lively dog and provide screening from newly built houses next door. Wall is actually a nice feature and would like to retain. Also it would not be easy to remove (shared boundary). I was hoping to erect some form of fencing on top of the wall to increase the height. I cannot see any way to put metal pins into the wall or erect posts in front or against the sloping wall to support a 3 foot fence above the wall. Any advice very welcome :cry:

Sponsored Links
you will really need to build it independently of the wall. the fence will be subject to wind forces that will act like a lever and if it is a dry stone wall, basically pull it down. If you put metal pins in it will have the same effect.
posts against it with their own foundations would be best bet

i thought that, but i never mentioned anything becsuse his next post will be that the wall is at an angle, and he wants to be able to see the wall.

so if posts at bottom are vertical, that will mean there will be a gap around half way up and the dog will soon figure this out

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. I suspected this was the situation. I think we will look to develop the wall a little and plant a low hedge on top. Nature has given a start with this in some places already. Thanks again for your comments. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back