fencing repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4ft high fence with concrete posts and would like to replace them with a 6ft fence. It seems to much work to replace the concrete posts. Can I just put the new fence panels in and then put a piece of 3x3 wood post above the concrete posts. Most of the panels are hidden behind scrubs. Will they be strong enough

Sponsored Links
without knowing how deep the concrete posts are its hard to say

The concrete posts are about 1ft in the ground and you cant move them. Thats why I dont want to get them out. Far far too much work.

Sponsored Links
johnvv said:
The concrete posts are about 1ft
Shouldn't be too difficult if there're 1ft in the ground and should be at least 2ft in the ground, so really best to take them out. If you hose the post holes down with plenty of water then lever backward & forward which should work it way loose. If you use 6ft panel with the 4ft posts you will then have a greater area wind span putting pressure onto the posts.

People sometimes put 2ft of lattice on the top instead, would that be any good?

couple of points to note if you put six foot panels up
you increasing the area for the wind to hit by 30%
not only that the fence panels will have to support
the post extensions so in effect your asking your
top post fixing to support nearly half the pannel
plus the added bit of post

i think if your trying to cut corners you may
have to do it properly in ayear or two as things
creak groan and break :oops: :oops:

good luck with what you choose anyway

Thanks for all replies. The wind problem is what Im worried about. Once I have got the panels out, I will have a look to see how secure the posts are. Ive been told to hire a kangol to dig out the posts, but everyone at work saids its too much work. Will report back soon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back