fencing with metposts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am fitting a wooden fence. 10 2.1 metre posts in total with 9 6x6 foot lap panels. I am using 6" wooden gravel boards also, the reason being is that I wanted a fence higher than 6ft (hence the 2.1 m posts).

I intended to use 750mm long spiked metposts. What I would like to know is whether these are any good, and also how I attach gravel boards as the metposts have a metal slot sticking out don't they.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
met posts are rubbish.they either rot away where the top joins the spike or snap with the wind catching the fence and causing movement in the posts. dig a hole 600mm deep by about a 300mm square and sit your post in and fill it with concrete.

Agree with Bikerm4, at least a third of the post need to be below ground level to be effective. You only have a few inches of metapost holding the wooden one and after time they tend to work loose in the ground.

bikerm4 said:
met posts are rubbish.they either rot away where the top joins the spike or snap with the wind catching the fence and causing movement in the posts. dig a hole 600mm deep by about a 300mm square and sit your post in and fill it with concrete.
I have used metposts and had problems fixing a gravel board although I managed to fit them with a bit of messing about.

Better than filling the hole with concrete.
Put some rubble followed by some gravel in the hole then set the posts on top of the gravel before filling with concrete.
This will allow any rain do drain away and the post will last a lot longer than just using all concrete.
Posts will last longer with just soil than if fully enclosed in concrete which would allow the water to run down inside the posts but wont let it escape.

Sponsored Links
have to agree that they are not all that good and are really bad value for money, they add a lot to the cost of a simple fence without great benefit.

they do have their uses eg small width of earth against existing concrete where there just is no way of digging a hole. But i have to agree they are another quick fix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back