FENSA CERTIFICATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:08 am Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I have been reading some of posts last year regarding a Fensa certificate in order to move house and I and was wondering if anyone knows what the outcome was. We are selling our house and quite far into the process and now the buyers solicitor is asking for a FENSA certificate for the windows we replaced 3 years ago. We only replaced a few windows and my auncle did it for us he is qualified carpenter and did it as a favour the windows were bought from a FENSA approved company and they are K glass, we are unsure what to do, if any body has any advice I would be really gratefull thank you.
Ami

Sponsored Links
If you have fitted the windows yourself then you really need to contact your local Building Control Office to seek a certificate from them to say that the installation does comply (FENSA doesn't apply here unless your uncle is FENSA registered).
You should have done this at the time but this is one of those things that people dont know about and are getting stung for time and time again.
Call your local BC officer and explain everything honestly to him and ask his advice on what to do. He may be able to come out and check the windows himself but it will cost you.

In theory, it is correct that you cannot sell your house until you produce a certificate. Hope things work out okay for you ;)

Thank you for your reply, after speaking to my auncle he advised we speak to the local council, I spoke to the local council this afternoon and told them honestly what we did ( at the time we really didnt know we needed this certificate) . They are sending out a form to fill in and we have to send them a cheque of £68.50 when that clears they will send out an inspector to check the windows. I am worried because we moved into the house in 2003 and the downstairs windows were already double glazed we just replaced the upstairs windows, i hope the inspector doesnt inspect the ones that were already in because I am not sure if they were K glass I assume they were fitted before 2002 as the previous owners didnt supply us with a certificate. Dyou know what the inspector checks for is it just that they are re-inforced glass, and dyou think he will make us change the ones that were already in the property. Thankyou for your time in replying to my messages

Just point out to the inspector the windows that you have changed. These guys usually know what to look for so you shouldn't have a problem.
The new regs came into play in April 2001 and any windows/doors fitted before this will not fall under the regs anyway. Doc L only applies to all windows and doors fitted after 2001 so as long as your new windows have K glass fitted then you should be okay. ;)

Sponsored Links
And you'll probably find that your glass units are date stamped between the panes.

Aren't they supposed to check that fire exits and insulation are at least as good as the old windows that were replaced? How can this be checked after the event?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back