Ferroli Optima 801 CH problem. Any Ferroli experts out there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with my Optima 801 and despite several visits from British Gas still isn't fixed.

The boiler has no external temperature sensor only an internal water temperature sensor. The CH and DHW temperature knobs are set at maximum. The boiler is set to 'Heating Continuous and Hot Water'

When the CH is initialy switched on the boiler fires and begins to send hot water around the system.

The following lights are on 'Mains Voltage On, CH Room Thermostat On, Sensor Calling For Heat, Demand For Heat'

When the internal temperature gauge reaches 60 degrees celcius the 'sensor calling for heat' light extinguishes it stops and goes into CH waiting time. Durring this period (2-3 minutes)the temp drops to about 45-50 and the light indicating 'Sensor Calling for heat' illuminates again.

However when the CH waiting time ends and that light extinguishes the system attempts to restart (boiler fan comes on and ignition attempt is made. However the boiler stops suddenly and the 'sensor calling for heat light' extinguishes.

The boiler remains in this state after another period of waiting time with the following lights illuminated 'Mains Voltage On, CH thermostat on'

It does not attempt to restart again.

I can get the CH to restart by turning on a hot water tap and having the boiler fire. I then turn the tap off and after a period of waiting time the CH will fire again for one cycle and then repeats the same fault

British Gas have so far changed the PCB but this has not resolved the problem and the engineer says he is 'at a loss' with the problem. They now simply want to sell me a new boiler and claim parts are difficult to obtain for this model.

If anybody is familiar with this fault or can offer any help it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a faulty thermistor to me. They come in pairs and are freely available from independent spares merchants. BG can't get them because they are from a different planet to the rest of us.

Their maintenance plans primarily exist as a lead source for new boiler sales. Quite an elegant business plan actually.

Cheers, Mike

garyclay said:
Hi,

I have a problem with my Optima 801 and despite several visits from British Gas still isn't fixed.

What have they done so far and is it still work in progress?. It is almost always the sensors if they are the green philips ones and because they are known to be problematic it is always better to replace them both.

Sponsored Links
Since we all know that the thermosters are common problems with that model and the symptoms are typical of that problem I can only immagine that you have been blessed with a newly qualified and pretty inexperienced BG man who just changes parts until it works.

Except in this case he can only even think of one part to change!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back