Clumsy Fibre Install damaged wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe not a DIY Disaster but a pretty poor way to leave my new fibre install by the BT Openreach engineer.
My line is still not hooked up but when I ventured outside to see how the cable had been run, this is what I was greated by.

Wall.png

The brick isn't too bad I guess, looks like maybe he turned the hammer off towards the end of drilling to the outside, but can't believe it has been left like this. I assumed the guy was coming back, but apparently, to complete the works, they do not need to come back to the property.
It seems a lot of the properties in my road have had similar standards of work by Openreach. They are opening themselves up for a lot of trouble in the future as the chances of damp getting in with a cable left like this are pretty high and people may well take action.

Anyway, I am going to order one of these...
910xKIn7uZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There is a little bit of slack in the cable further along, so I should be able to carefully pull the cable downwards in a way that doesn't bend the fibre too much and the up to go into this weather shielding.
Can anyone advise on what best product I can use to seal the area and stick the weather shielding on? I have never done this in my life but would rather just do it than wait weeks for a complaint to go through and then have the hassle of being in when they re-visit.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I really like "Silka" which is sold in lots of places. To be honest, there's not much point using the cover unless you are hiding the blown brickwork. Is the location hidden? I would just fill the hole exiting the wall with the exterior sealant so stop any ingress of water, bugs, etc.

When we had ours' installed, I pre-drilled the hole between the mortar for the installer and asked him to leave all the ducting and exterior junction box for me to fit as I knew it'd get blown brickwork otherwise!

I really like "Silka" which is sold in lots of places. To be honest, there's not much point using the cover unless you are hiding the blown brickwork. Is the location hidden? I would just fill the hole exiting the wall with the exterior sealant so stop any ingress of water, bugs, etc.

When we had ours' installed, I pre-drilled the hole between the mortar for the installer and asked him to leave all the ducting and exterior junction box for me to fit as I knew it'd get blown brickwork otherwise!
Hello,
Thanks for your post and recommendation. I can see they do it at Screwfix so I might grab one.
It is on an unhidden wall hence me thinking of getting one of the covers, just so I don't have to look at that brickwork. Could have been much worse I guess, but it will get on my nerves if I see it every day. Do you think the sealant would be able to stick a cover on the wall or would I need something else for that?

If it's on show then yes I'd want it hidden too.

Silka is very good, but to be honest any exterior sealant should do for a job like this. I think Screwfix sell their 'no-nonsense' stuff in brown. It would stick as one of the surfaces (the bricks) are pourous and they are designed to adhere to plastics. If it was going to be there for a long time, I'd use a couple of screws in each corner as well as I'd never worry about the sealant failing.

Sponsored Links
Bring the cable up from the bottom (as your pic), not down like you currently have, as rain can follow the cable and make its way inside.
You may have to remove some of the clips and re-attach them.

Thanks for the post guys.
This is not coax it is fibre and this is exactly how BT Openreach left it. Not very impressive at all is it? I have not had the time to go and get materials. I said at the start of this post, I don't have the energy to go back to EE who are my broadband providers and complain. I will try and sort it and just send them the receipts for a cover, sealant and clips as I am going to need one or two more to route the cable correctly like @Mr Chibs has said. For now, have covered it with a board so no rain gets in.

It seems this is common practice for BT Openreach installs in our area. They are opening themselves up for trouble as I don't think many neighbours are showing any interest in getting these bodgejobs repaired which means they will end up with water ingress and Openreach will be liable.

Any rain will track down the cable and try and find its way in, should have had a U shape before it imho besides they're fooked your brick face.

Some openreach engineers have the finesse and dexterity of a ham-fisted child. Exploded bricks and silicone bodge jobs are a speciality. I suspect the OP desires better for their house.

Maybe not a DIY Disaster but a pretty poor way to leave my new fibre install by the BT Openreach engineer.
My line is still not hooked up but when I ventured outside to see how the cable had been run, this is what I was greated by.

View attachment 272744

The brick isn't too bad I guess, looks like maybe he turned the hammer off towards the end of drilling to the outside, but can't believe it has been left like this. I assumed the guy was coming back, but apparently, to complete the works, they do not need to come back to the property.
It seems a lot of the properties in my road have had similar standards of work by Openreach. They are opening themselves up for a lot of trouble in the future as the chances of damp getting in with a cable left like this are pretty high and people may well take action.

Anyway, I am going to order one of these...
View attachment 272745
There is a little bit of slack in the cable further along, so I should be able to carefully pull the cable downwards in a way that doesn't bend the fibre too much and the up to go into this weather shielding.
Can anyone advise on what best product I can use to seal the area and stick the weather shielding on? I have never done this in my life but would rather just do it than wait weeks for a complaint to go through and then have the hassle of being in when they re-visit.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, My bad. I was referring to the second image. In your case, I would simply create a 'drip loop' with the slack and fill the hole with silicone.

This was the BT guy's efforts at our gaff.

IMG_20220729_201432_HDR.jpg

Pretty crap. We agreed they would knock some money off.

Count yourself lucky
a guy on Facebook posted an image where his cable guy drilled from outside, hit a cupboard, and went through a guitar case and a Martin guitar.

It's the brick he knocked off. I mean surely that would embarress a professional! You wonder just how many times he's done that and will continue to do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back