Filler or Caulk around skirting boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've just have new skirting boards fitted and there is a gap around the top edge etc. I used some decorators caulk around it but it 'sank' in slightly leaving a dust collecting trough, plus the caulk seemed similar to bathroom silicone & therefore I could not sand it without it frilling at the edges. I thought about using a tube of iller but am worried that it will crack. What do the pro's do to make skirting look so nice?

Cheers

Shaun

Sponsored Links
Use Decorator's Caulk and you may not be using enough if it is sinking. To be honest if done right you shouldn't really be sanding it anyway as you could caulk up last if you are having white skirting.

if its sunk, go over it again with decorators caulking. get some decent stuff from a decorators merchant. some of the stuff in the diy sheds is useless and unworkable. Just use a small bead of it at a constant pressure then go across it with a wet finger. if its done right it wont need any playing around with afterwards and sanding it will only ruin the finish on it

Sponsored Links
As Thermo says...caulk it twice...the reason it sank is probably because the gap was quite wide...

Caulk if again have a wet sponge handy to run over it then finish off with your finger.

I wouldnt recommend caulking after the gloss...it has a flat finish and may yellow in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back