Filling gaps between floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We've had some old floorboards (straight edge - no tongue and groove) laid onto a concrete floor, where they have shrunk a little, widening the gap between them. The gaps vary from maximum 10mm to min 3mm.
The question is, short of relaying them, what is the best substance/method of filling the gaps between each board?
I've heard of sawdust mixed with glue, paper mache, wood filler etc.
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
I have also heard about mixing the sawdust from sanding the boards with PVA glue to seal between the boards. As some of the gaps are quite large I know it is also usual to pack these larger gaps out with string/rope - sorry I dont know if there is any particular kind which works best as I have never done it only heard about it

Underneath the floorboards (on concrete) did you find insulation and DPM?
Using Bona's Mix and fill (waterbased mixture to mix with fine, clean saw-dust, from grid 80) is a safe way, but wider gaps will need to be filled a few times due to shrinking of the (nowadays) watebased product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back