Filling in a disused pond ready for turfing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have drained a pond of its water and wish to fill it in, level it and then turf over it at the same level as he rest of the garden.

At its deepest it it approx 3 ft. I was wondering how much soil I would need to fill the pond. Can I get away with filling the most of the pond in with rubble ? I have a lot of bricks that can be smashed and used.

Do I need a layer of sand of top of the rubble, followed by soil and then top soil? I don't really know.

If anybody could give some advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Taz

Sponsored Links
You can put rubble in as its good for drainage. i've just found in a book that if its on a sloping site they recommend 2ft of rubble, 6 inches small stones or coarse sand and then 6 inches of topsoil. so i cant see why you cant do this if its not sloping

You will have to make sure the bottom of the pond is broken up so it doesn't become a wet sump.

Sponsored Links
youll need an absolute minimum of 4 inches of topsoil for the turf. Make sure any filling material put in is reasonably well compacted to ensure it doesnt all sink in a year or two!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back