final sub circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you advise me. My friend and I are trying to figure out something we cannot find in the regs. We both have an electrical background.

We are trying to find out why you cannot put more than one circuit in a fuseway. What started it was when we inspected a kitchen and found three items (pretend they are 3 hobs for now to keep it simple)all fed from one circuit as a radial. Each one has the correct cable (2.5mm) and the fuse is 20Amp. If one item goes faulty the fuse will blow (obviously all 3 items will then be off)so it works safely as the cable is right and so is the fuse. Whats wrong with it? Taking it to the extreme what stops you putting ten radials in one circuit apart from common sense, ie a blown fuse would mean the loss of ten items until fuse replacement? Basically we would also like to know how many circuits can be fed from one way. I believe you can run one spur from the ring, actually from the fuse way which would give you 3 cables connected to the way. What is the limit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yours faithfully

Demo Zambourides

Sponsored Links
As far as i am aware in reality there is no limit.
The most important things are... the fuse/circuit breaker must be of a lower rating than the cable therefore the fuse/mcb will burn before the cable will.
So in terms of capacity
CABLE greater than FUSE greater than LOAD

wileecoyote said:
As far as i am aware in reality there is no limit.

yes there is, one spur / socket

Also may i suggest that you look at the date of a post before you relpy, the one you replied to was written on Aug 23, 2002 which makes it just over 16 months old, think they may have figured it out by now ;)

welcome aboard :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back