Finishing off suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the process of getting my bathroom redone, and now have a nicely tiled floor and a tiled pipe box behind the sink. This runs from the end of the bath behind the sink to the wooden panel on the wall on the other side.

Although professional tilers did the floor, a plumber with 2 previous tiling jobs was sent to do the pipe box. Not entirely happy about that, but apart from being slow and wasting a lot it seems a not bad job. Apart from...I feel it would look better if the bottom of the pipe box, where it meets the tiles, and the side where it meets the wood panel, were grouted or siliconed in some way.

Any views on that? If anyone's in agreement that grouting/siliconing is a good idea, what should I ask them to come back and use? I'm fed up not knowing what I'm talking about and can't help wondering if they've taken advantage of my ignorance to some extent!!

TIA

Sponsored Links
When I'm doing a bathroom the wall-to-floor sealant (along with bottom of basin pedestal and WC pan) is the last thing I do, so that it doesn't get mucked up with dust from drilling walls etc.

If you want to stipulate the sealant they they use, then it's "best quality, mildew-resistant, sanitary silicone sealant". If you want to make sure that's what they use, without appearing to overbearing, then just go and buy a couple of tubes of Dow Corning 785 and tell them they can keep what they don't use.

Fantastic, thank you! I had wondered about the bottom of the pedestal and loo too...

I'll get some of that stuff tomorrow.

You might need to present it sensitively, i.e. so as not to appear that you're telling them how to do they're job.

For example, you could say that someone at work had two tubes left over from a bathroom job, and raved about it, and gave you them. Summat like that. If you bump into your plumber in the local merchant then clearly this won't wash...

Sponsored Links
Do people rave about silicone?!

I'm joking, but yes, I've been thinking about how to bring up the topic. I'm no Kofi Annan, but I think I have some leeway with them given the delays and hassle - much of which was caused by the corner cutting of the apprentice plumber. He's still trying to persuade me to let him glue the cabinet and mirror to the wall rather than screw them in...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back