finishing round edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just put down a new flat roof (wouldn't like to do that again any time soon!!!)but the edges are a problem.
the one edge i've done hasn't sealed too good when i doubled it back up to finish on top and the edge on show looks all rounded.
i've used the same adhesive as i used for the whole roof . should i be using another type of adhesive and if so what.
are there any other tips do doing the edges so neatly
advice is urgently needed

Sponsored Links
Need some more details,
Is this on a flat roof extension or shed etc and what roofing materials are you using, is it roofing felts ??

this is a flat roof extension, years ago it used to be full height as the house but someone knocked the top floor off and just felted over the floorboards.
i've replaced all beams etc and put up firring strips to create angle necessary, boarded out with treated boards, then put up the three layer felt with green mineral on top. the edge to wall of house(90 o ) has a triangular fillet to take rain away from wall, the guttering side has been done already as this needed fixing in between middle and third layer of felt, i know how to do the edges it's just i can't get a finish to them like the pros do. what's the best way to make it stick so it looks nice and flat on the aprons.
thanks

Sponsored Links
The felt around the edges should be cut and folded prior to any 'jollop' being applied. Let the felt hang over the side of the roof and staple the edge to the drip timber. The felt must be stapled level (or at a slope that you intend). Then apply the jollop to the inside edge of the felt over the staples. Now fold the felt back up towards you (using the pre-folded creases - see my first sentence!)

This will make for that 'sharp' edge on the drip, all with invisible fixings.

Now fold the felt over, onto the roof deck and proceed as normal.

Don't forget, you have to fix all the edge felt pieces before any jollop is applied as each one overlaps the next.

A little trick is to wet the edge of the mineral where one piece of felt overlaps the next. This stops the jollop sticking to what will be a seen piece of felt. This keeps it all clean with no nasty black smudges at the overlaps.

None of this is easy to do. The first few attempts will possibly look scruffy, so practice on an area that may not be seen.

thanks for all the advice.that's the last piece of that jigsaw into place.
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back