fire hoods for downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , think i read somewhere on prievious posts about fire hoods when fitting downlights , i want to fit some downlights in my kitchen ceiling , can hoods made out of plasterboard be used for this purpose . i want to fit x10 light, not sure which lights i will be using yet mains or Lv , thanks , dave

Sponsored Links
You do not need to fit them unless there is a separate dwelling (eg flat) above.If this is the case it will be cheaper & easier to fit the proper thing than codge it up with plasterboard.

thanks for reply , have bathroom above , just thought hoods were required when fitting downlights in void between ceiling and floor above,cheers, dave

You need to fit them if there are habital rooms above - yours or others.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
You need to fit them if there are habital rooms above - yours or others.

No, no, no, no, no!

Read the approved document.

(But, if you are going to notify the work, check what your local authority building control office say... because they don't read the regs either and will have their own views.)

Hoods/ fire-rated fittings reqd if its a fire check ceiling or if u in multi occupancy building (eg flats). Otherwise not reqd unless at the whim of LABC (per above).

Personally I'd fit em if my kid's bedroom was above the kitchen....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back