Fire Rated Spots - Definitive answer anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a fully qualified electrician and have had my own company for a number of years.

No problems previously, but I've just come across a tyrant of a building control officer, who is refusing to issue a certificate of completion for a kitchen extension that I have wired. This is on the basis that the four spot lights within the kitchen area are non-fire rated?

I know that it is preferable to fit fire rated, but in this case I didn't feel it was required, the extension is single story, and there is no other room above it?

Also, he says that fire rated would be better because this would not allow steam from the kitchen to get behind the spot (what?), but no tilting fire rated spots as this would make the steam problem even worse (what planet?).

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this one, it seems everyone has their own ideas?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Regardless of what anyone on here says, you are going to have to do what the inspector wants to get the cert. Personally I think he is wrong but what he says goes I'm afraid.

I'm in agreement Davy, thats what i'll be doing. Just seems ridiculous to have such poor clarity on an issue like this.

Ultimately, even though I know that the inspector is wrong, it makes my company look like a fool to the customer, and is added expense.

There are plenty of cases where inspectors enforce rules that they themselves have misinterpreted. The main offender being the new socket heights as per Part M. It's irritating, but going along with the inspector is still cheaper than fighting them over it.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if your BCO is using a different reg than fire/sound in this instance. There is a reg (don't know which one though :confused: ) that says that you must not allow moisture ingress into a loft space from any rooms below, hence no extractor fans venting onto loft space and also sealed lighting.

In the end though you will have to go by what your BCO says. You could phone them and get them to clarify this point for you though...try and speak with the top man!

I know it isn't really of any use to the OP, but fire rated DLs will not prevent the passage of steam. They have lots of holes in the top which are only sealed with intumiscent material when the fitting is actually exposed to fire.

nozspark said:
Who said fire rated spots were sealed :eek:

The man from the BCO seems to think they are, which is why I was pointing out that they are not, as showing him this may sway his desicion.

i doubt showing him this will work, since we could be your mates, i would however suggest you try taking one of each fitting and let him see for himself

Cheers for the advice lads.

Think i'll meet with the BCO at the house, and will indeed take a sample of fittings with me to show that no single fitting meets all of the criteria he's looking for.

Will keep you updated.

IP in itself does not mean vapourproof.. it can just mean you can't get your fingers in.. so it can still have 12mm holes in the top of it..

wouldn't a fire hood work.. they look pretty non-holey..

I suppose you could fit these (IP65), but they'd look a bit cack in a kitchen IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back