fire-resistant panelled doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all
I'm planning to make a pair of panelled doors and would like them to have 20 minute fire resistance. Does anyone have ideas on how to ensure that degree of fire resistance?

Sponsored Links
set fire to them and see how long they last, if its less than 20 minutes you failed (they actually do this to test doors)

thanks for that idea. However, what I really wanted to know was what materials, coatings or techniques could be used to ensure that the doors would stand up to that test. Any ideas?

1 sheet of 12.5mm plasterboard is 1/2 hr and double is 1 hr resistance.

Can't remember the name but you can get fire resistance paint.

I don't know where the fire door is going so maybe check with your fire insurance to see if you're allow to make it.

Sponsored Links
There are some woods that char rather than burn readily, and are used to build fire escapes.

Presumably selecting such a wood as your material would be a start.

i was just thinking are you aware of the "fire stip" around a fire door, with out you are wasting your time, also as has been said, check with insurance co, they love any excuse not to pay out

thanks for replies. I'm afraid I don't know what a 'fire stip' is. COuld you help me?

The fire strip is an intumescent strip that often looks like a draught excluder recessed into the edge of the door - all the way round.

Intumescent materials expand in a fire to several times their original size. This then holds the door in the frame and restricts the flow of hot gasses and smoke.

Insurers are not really bothered about 20-30 minute life safety fire resisting doorsets. Only time they are bothered is if you are talking about 2 or 4 hour fire resiting doors and shutter sets for fire break purposes.

(PS: I know this is resurecting an old thread. Just trying to return some of the help the forumites here have provided me with my plumbing problems).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back