Fireplace brickwork repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an old fireplace opened up and fitted a decorative fire surround however the bricks inside are both sooty, and the render/bricks are crumbling away in places. I want to repair and paint the brickwork to finish the job. It is intended to be a decorative focal point for the room and looks unfinished at the mo. How do I go about repairs and what paint should I use?

Sponsored Links
Painting brickwork is never a good idea in my opinion.

I would clean the brickwork down, with one of the products available for the job, then repoint the brickwork

I agree, why cover some nice brickwork.

If you hvae to paint have you thought of a clear laquer or even PVA. This will seal in any dust and give a glossy finish.

Sponsored Links
Hi, houseyhousey,
you do not say if you have cleaned all the 'filler' brickwork out.
A fire opening is essentially an opening in a breast, which is 3 bricks wide x 1 1/2 deep x 12 course high. this is (usually) later filled to suit the finished dimensions of the surround, often behind a made up fire opening in a fire brick material.
If the bricks in the fire opening are discoloured (due to years of open fires) they will also have probably suffered some acid attack due to the chemical composition of the smoke etc.
Try brick acid, the real stuff, (hydroclhoric acid) not some dilute patio cleaned, but bear in mind the fumes (of the acid) are themselves corrosive and the whole thing needs doing with some regards to personal safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back