Fireplace fitting - can I put hearth on oak flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a solid oak floor laid, and will have a fireplace delivered shortly. The question is, can I lay the granite hearth on top of the wood flooring? I would guess it would have less stability than a solid floor, but it would be a huge issue to have to cut out the wood to accomodate the hearth.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
This would allow you to cut through the floor boards so you could let in the hearth. Its a vibrating tool.

Many thanks for the reply. I'll certainly keep that in mind should I need to take that course of action.

However, would somebody be able to tell me whether I actually need to do this, or whether it is safe to fix the hearth on top of the oak flooring?

Thanks

as long as the hearth is make from a non flammable material then there should not be a problem. Might have to build up the inside of the fire cavity to match the top of the hearth though.

Sponsored Links
From what I've been reading recently, I am currently installing one myself, it would be a bad idea. The heat in the hearth stone can make the wood flooring tinder dry creating a high fire risk should any embers get on it. Depends if you're using a soiild fuel fire (then cut the boards out) or gas (no need to bother).

The choice is yours...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back