First post - Help with a patio door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone out there knows how to remove the sliding door and fixed panel in a patio door? I have a rather large fish tank which needs to be moved from my garage to the lounge and the only way in is through this door.

The door itself has, I think, Anti-lift stops in it as it won't move vertically. Is it simply a case of removing the plastic finishing strips and undoing everything (of course remembering the order in which they came out and from where).

Anything I should know/consider before I get the tools out? It's cold out there and the other half would kill me if the job wasn't finished by nighttime! :confused:

TIA

Nathan

Sponsored Links
Depending on the type you've got but most patio doors are the same and do NOT take out the glass out of the frame.(you don't need to know why :!:)

Open the sliding door fully opposite the fixed panel (in front of it) then lift the door up the highest it can go,then slide the bottom of the door outward and drop it down at the same time but be careful it can be very heavy (don't do it on your own) If it still hitting the anti-lift under the top frame then you have two choices,either remove the anti-lift blocks or strips type or you can adjust the sliding door wheels down by carefully using a crowbar with a rag to protect the bottom and lever it up slightly to take the pressure off the door weight while you're undoing the philip screws on the bottom edge of the door where the rubber grommet is.(I think the screw is clockwise for upward and anti-clockwise for downward)The next step is to remove the top and botton sill plate which is either screw in or prise off,then you will see the fixing brackets which hold the fixed panel,remove the brackets then slide the fixed panel toward you then take it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back