Fitting 13A sockets directly to trunking... is it legal?

O

overlandrover

Our house is undergoing a bit of a renovation at the moment, and new sockets and cables are being chased into walls throughout, with the exception of a cupboard in the centre of the house.

This cupboard is intended to be the power and data hub for the house:
- Dedicated 100x50 trunking will bring the incoming tails and outgoing mains cables from the loft to the new consumer unit.
- Separate 100x50 trunking will be used for TV/Sat/BT/Ethernet cable control.

Once in the loft, all the cables will go their separate ways, clipped to the joists and trusses. I'll be keeping the data and power cables as far from each other as possible, and crossing them at right angles when they overlap.

A LoftBox and broadband router will be located in this cupboard, and these obviously need to be plugged into the mains.

In order to make a tidy installation, I'm mounting a BT faceplate directly onto the lid of the data trunking, but can I fit a pair of 13A sockets onto the power trunking? The trunking is NOT the dado type your get in your office at work.

I'm intending to protect the backs of the sockets with plastic pattress boxes, but want to make sure it's a sound idea before I cut holes in the lid.

Sponsored Links
Use MARSHALL TUFFLEX MAXI trunking - 50x100 - Then use TSS03 ond TSS04 boxes for single and doubles as required.

You can get diving fillet which clips into this to keep the two cables seperate if required - But I read you are using to runs, so maybe not required.

Can't really see a problem with this, though I would make sure that you use nylon nut's & bolts to hold the back box to the trunking

Sponsored Links
most 100mm x 50mm has clip in accessory boxes available for it. It doesn't necessarily have to be 3 compartment dado stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back