Fitting 3 star euro locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace some euro locks and it seems that there are new fangled "3 star" ones available that are anti-snap (more accurately: the sacrificial front snaps off and leaves the lock inoperable from outside, but still working from inside).

Two questions, for any budding locksmiths:
1) Once a burglar has attempted to get in, snapped off the sacrificial front and given up then how do *I* get back in the house? If I'm in the house or another door is still working then the broken lock can be opened from the inside, but what if I can't regain access?

2) Some websites claim that fitting these locks is something only suitable for locksmiths, even going so far to suggest your insurance won't be valid in the event of a break-in. However, Yale and others, suggest it is a DIYable job. As long as the right size lock is chosen (so protrusion is minimal, <=3mm is suggested by Yale) what could a DIYer do wrong?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

First, question 2!
Yes, fitting a euro barrel lock is an easy DIY job. As you've said, make sure you get the dimensions right.
I've fitted a couple of keyed alike Avocet ABS locks, and have been very happy with them.

As for question 1, I'm not really sure!
You may have to call the lock-picking lawyer! :)

Thanks for confirming #1 at least - some of the "get a locksmith" comments were from website that seemed keen for you to hire a locksmith, so possibly trade bodies trying to retain business.

I found that video separately - he found it rather easy to pick! Though it was upside down which some suggested might have helped.

I found some videos about drilling out locks and they said if you hit hardened steel then give up. I imagine it can be done with the right bit but probably not trivial given it isn't in the most convenient place. Probably hope one door is still usable, and if not then break a window...

I found that video separately - he found it rather easy to pick!
To be fair, he finds most locks incredibly easy to pick! If the video is a couple of minutes long, you know the locks a good one! :)

...and barging through the UPVC panel on my front door would probably be a lot less hassle than breaking the lock!
Though touchwood, I hope that doesn't happen :)

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that to get the 3* rating, the cylinder had to be fitted within a security escutcheon which itself prevented the cylinder from being snapped.

But once an anti snap euro is snapped it's a job for a locksmith, if you can't get in by another route.

I was under the impression that to get the 3* rating, the cylinder had to be fitted within a security escutcheon which itself prevented the cylinder from being snapped.

Interesting :)
No mention of that from ABS though!

Screenshot_20211116-225950_Chrome.jpg

please observe the date of this thread (a recent spammer has been removed)
I recently replaced my front door eurolock with a 3* one. No different from fitting any other. One screw and out it came.

If it was broke, I’d go round to the back door.

I recently fitted Yale Platinum? keyed alike, I had to remove the handles as they have a function where you can't knock the locks through even when snapped.

Still not a bad job but took a bit longer.

If they snap the front AND the back door locks you're in for an expensive night! (If no one is in the house..).

If the lock is broken, no matter what side, you will have to change the whole lock system of the door.
Wrong. If the lock is damaged inside only you can gain access from outside allowing you to change the cylinder only !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back