Fitting a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any one any handy tips about fitting a bath?

We've extended the bathroom to accomodate the new unit, and the bath will ba surrounded by a stud wall to one long edge and a solid to the end (where the taps are) - the other two are free standing.

I have (in the past) fixed some 2*1 to the (3) walls and sat the bath on those, then built some 3*2 boxes to sit the chipboard/ply base on to - this seems to take out any side play.

How do the professionals do it?

PS its an acrylic bath, not steel.

thanks guys

rob.

Sponsored Links
There isn't many ways of doing this,what I will say make sure the legs of the bath is screw down to the floor and use timber packing under the base of the bath in approx 4 section for a solid support and finally put in a inspection board or door for access to tap & waste pipe.I've lost count of times I have to damaged the bath panel to get to the leaking tap.I use a magnet connector for my bath side panel for quick access instead of a door etc...

like the magnet idea, cheers Masona.

does anyone have any preference to using those tile skirts so you tile to the bath, or is it better to tile the wall and then offer the bath up, filling the gap with silicone?

I doubt the bath will be moved for a few years once its fixed, and the silicone would act as an adhesive, but are there any cons?

Sponsored Links
When I did my bath, I chisled into the wall then offered the bath up so that the bath was recessed - and then tiled down to the bath - and then silicone sealed round. Thought this would be better in the long run for preventing any leaks behind it.

Also a good sugestion which my wife came up with when we did our bath was to turn one bath panel (opposite the taps) into two cupboard doors for a handy little storage area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back